Sausage

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently in love with the dried blueberry and pork sausage from Whole Foods. Just the perfect sweet-savory-porky combo for me.

Spied a gift pack of two salamis from Salumi (Batali father's place in Seattle) at Sur La Table in Soho recently. Was intrigued but didn't buy.

Dines Farms has a nice breakfast sausage. So does Citarella, come to think of it.

One of my running buddies, who was a vegetarian for over 20 years and only recently quit, is in love with Flying Pigs' jerk sausages. I have yet to try them. I think she buys them all before I can get to the market.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Absolutely fucking ridiculous.

In 2003 Agriculture Department inspectors shut down Mr. Buzzio's business, Salumeria Biellese in Manhattan, because he was not using an approved kill step. Rather than change the production method, Mr. Buzzio and his partners spent more than $100,000 on laboratory testing and legal fees, finally satisfying officials' safety concerns — mainly by showing that pathogens were killed by the curing process.

On Monday inspectors destroyed all the cured meats at Il Buco restaurant in NoHo. They did so, according to the owner, Donna Lennard, not because of any evidence of contamination but because the temperature in the curing room was six degrees higher than it should have been.

"These are pigs that were raised for us," Ms. Lennard said. "We knew their names. We were trying to do something sustainable and traditional, and this is what happens."

CarrieNation.jpg

in colorado you must check out sausages from the long family farm. available at the boulder farmers' market on saturdays and doubtless at other markets on other days. the apple sausage in particular is otherworldly--you have to get there early to get some. had some for dinner last night, alongside some sliced king oyster mushrooms sauteed with green garlic.

Has anyone tried the Petit Jesu from Salumeria Biellese? Apparently they sell it only by the whole sausage. I am tempted.

Haven't tried it, but based on the quality of their other meats and their description of the Petit Jesu--This dry coarse grand salami is bursting with rustic flavor. Fits nicely in any antipasto platter or with a chunk of crusty bread, and a glass of wine--I can't imagine you'll regret it.

Has anyone tried the Petit Jesu from Salumeria Biellese? Apparently they sell it only by the whole sausage. I am tempted.

Does anyone other than me find "Baby Jesus" to be an odd name for a sausage?

Fly