Cookshop

Guest Aaron T

Razor clams - overcooked, but garnished with nicely crisp sugar snaps. It was one of those meals that fades from memory the moment you walk out the door.

And good lord, the NOISE. Not a padded surface in the place.

The baneful element of Colicchio's influence, by the sound of it. The success of Craft has permitted hard floors, hard chairs, and an obsession with the naming rather than the cooking of ingredients. This place never beckoned me.

• 6 months later...

Had a dispiriting meal here the other night (venue not chosen by me). We started with excellent cocktails--mine a rosemary-tinged vodka martini--and the service is good, but except for some good oysters and a nice pear and date bread pudding everything was forgettable. And there is a tendency towards too-rich food absolutely heaped on plates which I find offputting. About the same price point as Hearth but nowhere near as good, as I have noted before.

Oh, and this annoyed me. One of our party of four was unavoidably late for our 7 PM reservation and when I told the hostess this her only response was that we would have to give back the table at nine. Nine came and went and the whole time from nine to ten, when we left, there were many empty tables. Why tell customers they have to vacate the table at a certain time when the restaurant is not fully booked? ;)

Something I neglected to mention above: a pervasive fishy smell. Made me quite queasy after a while. We all had fish and it was all fresh but the smell was similar to stale fish in a fridge about to go off. Not good.

Had a disappointing meal there last week. Loud, cramped and spotty service. Menu reads great but with the exception of a wonderful fresh pasta app with a decadently creamy sauce (robbiola?) and chanterelles,

I was underwhelmed. A $17 special squab app was enemic with a melange of too sweet fruits, a $20+ plate of suckling pig was so tough I sent it back and the cauliflower side so overcooked I was looking for my grandmother in the kitchen. Im over this place.

• 1 year later...

I just made a reservation for tonight for Cookshop. We're going with some friends coming in from NJ-- it seemed to fit with what they wanted: reasonably convenient to Penn Station, not too formal... and we thought they'd like to see the West Chelsea scene.

But then I read these reviews! I hope we have a better experience. I read some more positive remarks over on eG. Seems like they do well with whole fish. We'll avoid the rabbit and the suckling pig.

I just made a reservation for tonight for Cookshop. We're going with some friends coming in from NJ-- it seemed to fit with what they wanted: reasonably convenient to Penn Station, not too formal... and we thought they'd like to see the West Chelsea scene.

But then I read these reviews! I hope we have a better experience. I read some more positive remarks over on eG. Seems like they do well with whole fish. We'll avoid the rabbit and the suckling pig.

I've eaten there a few times, and I've liked what I've had from the grill. The menu changes often enough (and I'm there infrequently enough) that I can't tell you what particular dish to go with, but I certainly don't think you'd have a bad meal. The staff are very nice. Sounds like your friends would enjoy it (and it's very "New Yorky," if that matters).