Thanks, but we are going to New York City on the 13th. I worked there 34 years ago and have wanted to visit for a long time. We'll try and make the next event.

Bad news kids, I have to work on the 15th and right now it looks like I can't get out of it. So I will have to back out of hostessing. I will keep working on trying to get the day off!

Ouch! Make them let you off, darn it--you MUST eat hot dogs...

But we're more than happy to host this shindig at our place; it's been a while since we've had something here. :rolleyes:

Sounds awesome, fitz! And it would be easier for you in the long run, to be able to be at home with the boys.

We'll do paper plates and plastic cups!!

Cool!! And the boys will be good... they pop off to bed without incident just after 6:00, so life is pretty easy and predictable (knock on wood...).

We actually did dinner at a friend's house recently and all went well; babies went to sleep beautifully at their house and transferred back to their cribs just as smoothly hours later, but boy, what a pain lugging "the road show' (as W called it) over there! :rolleyes:

So, great--we can start any time people want. I don't think I've seen a mention of time made yet. And of course, we can make the grill available in the yard if anyone wants to use that, and we've got the cast iron grill for the stove top.

We're looking forward to this!

Donna

David has made noises about deep fat frying....

Absolutely... we definitely want to do some "rippers" a la Rutt's Hut, the classic old hot dog joint in my Jersey neighborhood--our fryer's on the small side, though. We've only used it for appetizers so far, but I can have a look and see how many dogs it might handle...

So how many different directions we can take?

Different hot dog brands?

Different cooking methods....grilling, frying or boiling (uugh)

Regional toppings...Chili (Texas or Cincinnati), Chicago style, NYC style. etc.

side dishes? I always love a good knish and sometimes beans and coleslaw, what else deserves to share a plate with the mighty hot dog hot dog?

I will probably look to bring knishes and maybe some dogs and onion relish back from NYC.

Well, we'll definitely do some Jersey digs, variously called "Italian" or "Newark style" hot dogs, the kind the local chain Jimmy Buff's is famous for. They're a NJ classic, along with White Castle burgers... See them here in all their mouthwatering goodness: http://www.jimmybuff.com/

Rutt's Hut rippers are another classic; the place has been around forever, but they're a simpler animal not requiring anything but relish and mustard...

Are we still on for the 15th? Can you make it, LHG? (I had the thought that this WAS her idea to start this thread...maybe we need to do this on a day when she can come??)

We were assuming things were still on--I was thinking that LHG just couldn't get out of work early enough to host? But maybe things have changed, or it needs to be an evening thing?

Just let us know...

I'm still good for this, but can't make it until after 6 - I have to work as well.

Sounds good, because once it's a tad after six, our little guys will be asleep for the night...