Wilfrid1

Madrid

Thanks, Chambolle! I will consider everything.

Now all that said, if you were very careful and only did an entree-plat-dessert with some bubbly water and a glass or two of very modesty priced wine, you could possibly slip under the 100e threshold ... which would of course wind up being a lovely evening ... but having to be so careful takes a tad away from the sense of a splurge I say ... unless of course the budget might have just a tiny bit of flexibility ... for this is indeed a special place for traditionalists

But in general when Chambo is given a budget by others, he’ll err on the conservative side and stay safely within the specified lines ... that is, he prefers to play by the rules ... and never wants to be called out as out of bounds ... but that’s just Chambo’s style ...

Not quite food related, but would we be silly to go to Madrid/southern Spain with our kids during holy week?

Not ideal but not terrible either. There are many closings (but not every good restaurant is closed) and of course hotel rates will be higher but it's not as extreme of an event as in Mexico for example.

Right, Sevilla and other places with famous processions etc. are likely to be worse, but further down in Andalusia it's not that big of a deal. Compare to Mexico where people rent out their parking spaces in beach towns so vacationers can put up tents.

Wow Mexico is even worse? That's where my daughter really wants to go (though in trying to explain to her there aren't pinatas everywhere). Thx for the notes all.

Taberna Verdejo- The neighborhood restaurant of your dreams run by some of the most lovely people ever. Our bill was <120 EUR for two with a nice bottle of Garnacha that hit the right notes. Just really good food from good products. If we lived in Madrid (and why don't we really?) I'd be on a first name basis with the people here. We stayed in Salamanca, so this was walking distance. Not used to foreigners, but seemed very happy to have them. Wanted to know how we found them.

We got pretty friendly with the owners over the years, so it was a pretty emotional dinner last night - first time after Carmen's tragic death. Everything is just fine in terms of food, service, and wine - really business as usual - yet I can't even begin to imagine the strain on Marian being there, but she's strong and hopefully will pull through.