thanks Jaymes - sure i'll drive to Lockhart - are they open for breakfast? :blush: on Sat? anything else in vicinity to call it a day trip?

Lockhart is a very small town, and there's not much there besides barbecue, but the town square is very typical of 'small town Texas,' and there's a wonderful old county courthouse. If you're really off day-tripping, you could drive on down to Brenham and see the Blue Bell Ice Cream dairy, or to Shiner and tour the brewery, or to Schulenburg and see the painted churches, or to Round Top and view the music camp and eat dinner at Royer's before heading back to Austin.

I don't really know the hours.

And Helena, I wish I were there. I still owe you a trip to Mexico. That's a day trip from Austin. Ah well, next time.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks foodie52 and Jaymes.

foodie, how do you think Uchi might compare to Japanese restaurants in NYC?

I think my sister wanted to take me to Mars last time but we didn't make it, so it'll go on the list! And I think Enoteca instead of Vespaio this time around.

Also, what kind of French is Aquarelle? Old school bistro stuff?

Jaymes, is the Esther's Follies show the one I saw a Bill Giest piece on CBS about the 'Keep Austin Weird' show? I LOVE the haunted Austin idea, too... I'll search around for more info. Thanks for the lead!

I do like the bar at the Driskill, too.

With respect to NY, Uchi is kind of a Sushi of Gari or Seki type place. Interesting combinations, relatively casual, definitely not a temple of sushi ala Yasuda.

You have a lot of my favorite spots covered. I had a great meal at Mirabelle recently, but would probably go to Castle Hill first, if you haven't been.

To follow myself up almost two yrs later, a really enjoyable meal at Mirabelle last night. A salad followed by a grilled pork chop with potato gratin and green beans. Simple fare done well. And a deal for two at $70 before tip.

• 1 year later...

And to follow myself up a year and a half later...

El Sol y Luna does good migas. Still looking for a Las Manitas replacement, and this is as close as I've found. Fresh juice, too.

Tamale House on Airport is the same as ever, and so are their migas. Kind of tomato-y from the ranchero. Brings me straight back to college. Good potatoes and beans.

Wink... eh, another so-so meal. BYO, which is nice, but it would be great to see them ramp up the level of execution and conception in the kitchen.

Parkside... was excited to try this place based on the chef's past and the menu, so I was sorry when it turned out to be a yawn. Really lame wine list. Green garlic soup wasn't bad. Salads okay. Bread okay. Pate okay. The tongue dish with sweetbreads was good, but the flavor profile didn't really fit in with the rest of the meal. Actually reminded me of something you might get at Ssam, only a bit sloppier.

Nau's... same as ever. Good crowd at lunch.

Frisco... ditto. They still serve the best pies in town.

House Park... was disappointed with their chopped beef sandwich. Too sweet, not that smoky. Love the vibe.

The trailer park on S 1st is great fun. Good tacos and okay burgers.

Jo's on 2nd is serving fried pies again... the cherry is pretty good.

Still enjoy Lambert's brunch, though I wouldn't mind if they changed it up a bit.

Ruby's is as good as ever... go for the sausage, mac & cheese, and creamy cole slaw.

Screaming Goat near Lamar and 12th does good migas tacos. Nice outdoor space around back.

Great pimento cheese and chicken salad at Sweetish Hill.

Good meal at Asia Cafe but not quite as good as previous meals. Still worth checking out.

Anyone try Olivia? Menu looks good.

I was treated to a great birthday dinner at Olivia - highly recommended. I first heard of them just before they opened when I saw the chef shopping at a local farm - Boggy Creek - for the soft opening. They're very committed to using local stuff.

And to follow myself up a year and a half later...

Great pimento cheese and chicken salad at Sweetish Hill.

I'll let Patricia know that you still like her sandwiches! It's still amazing to me that I get to hang out every day with the former owner of Sweetish Hill.

I've eaten at Olivia three times. I took the cooks from one of our school kitchen sites there for dinner on Saturday so they could see how food ought to be prepared when done with love, and we got to sit at the chef's table. Chef James comped us the bison beet tartare and gazpacho. The lambs' tongue fricassee is amazing. Most of the food is locally sourced and they have a garden in back. It's a fun restaurant with a good wine list, many lovely wines moderately priced. I hope they succeed.

A lot of hype about La Condessa. I was invited to the soft opening but passed because I don't care for crushing crowds. Apparently they have a really good tequila list.

One of these days, we'll bump into each other at SH. I'll be the one wearing the "delicious nutritious patricious" t shirt!

Ha! I like that.

Counter Cafe is easy to like. In the old GM steakhouse space on N Lamar... another spot that brings back college memories, though it's a much spiffier spot these days. Recommended. Some local produce and eggs, among other fare.

John and I used to walk there for breakfast back in the mid 70's when we lived in a house on Blanco with no AC.

• 9 months later...

We had a good dinner last night at Perla's (where Mars was briefly, on South Congress). It's restaurant week so we could take advantage of their prix fixe menu. Started with 4 different oysters, then broiled skate and choice of dessert from the dessert menu. Check out their menu. It was a great deal and they CAN do fish well. Thumbs up for the skate: it was very well done.

Perla's

They have a really nice outdoors seating area which must be wonderful in our outdoors seasons. But I bet it's packed usually.

We had a good dinner last night at Perla's (where Mars was briefly, on South Congress). It's restaurant week so we could take advantage of their prix fixe menu. Started with 4 different oysters, then broiled skate and choice of dessert from the dessert menu. Check out their menu. It was a great deal and they CAN do fish well. Thumbs up for the skate: it was very well done.

Perla's

They have a really nice outdoors seating area which must be wonderful in our outdoors seasons. But I bet it's packed usually.

They do have a small but good oyster selection. Didn't have a chance to try anything else.

Perla's

HA! I had the 'resto week' menu at Paggi House on Monday. Pork belly, Short Ribs, Bread Pudding. Had a great glass of wine with it all. Liked everything, but ironically, liked the dessert the best, and I'm not usually a dessert person, so that's worth noting. Who's the pastry chef there?