• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go out on a limb and say that these guys are putting out the best BBQ in Austin proper at the moment.

Lunch today included some amazing brisket (both lean and fatty) and extremely good ribs. Maybe the best I've had in Texas. Sausage was okay... a tighter ground than I prefer.

They operate out of a couple of trailers just north of Star Seeds on the I-35 access road. Take a right on Concordia and you'll see the place. Apparently the really nice guy who runs it learned his trade from one of the Muellers and is actually using the smoker from the old Austin-based Mueller location. (This, at least, according to various bits I've seen online.) One trailer for serving, the other for smoking.

I showed up at 11:45 and spent a good 30 minutes in line. Crowded and not the fastest counter service. By the time I ordered, they were out of ribs and pulled pork. (A guy took pity on me as I stood in line and handed over that amazing rib.) Beans are okay, but this place is about the meat.

Apparently they're often out of food by around 2:00.

Franklin BBQ. W - Sun, 11-4.

Highly recommended.

Wow: I'm excited about this. It's close to Fiesta, right? Must be right where Concordia University used to be. Well worth a visit. Thanks for the tip.

Well, it has been officially announced ;) that IACP will be in Austin June 1-4, 2011, so I will pay much more attention to this thread. :lol: I just hope there will be enough decent sessions to go to, as well as enough boring timeslots for me to have to fill roaming around.

Franklin's has been getting LOTS of good buzz. I need to check it out soon.

...an Austin chapter of Les Dames d'Escoffier?? that sounds fun! what do you guys do?

Food Wars on the Travel Channel is going to do a show on Kreuz vs Smitty's. The show is over the top corny/cheesy, so it should be truly groan worthy.

Had a really nice dinner at Parkside during SxSW, as well as La Condesa.

still craving those goddam donuts from Gourdough's.

Food Wars on the Travel Channel is going to do a show on Kreuz vs Smitty's. The show is over the top corny/cheesy, so it should be truly groan worthy.

Looks like the Kreuz vs Smitty's episode of Food Wars is going to be broadcast on March 23 - next Tuesday.

I thought I'd mentioned this already, perhaps not. New cheese shop in Hyde Park -- Antonelli's. They've been open almost a month, I think. Right next to Hyde Park Bar & Grill.

A welcome addition. Really nice husband and wife team, and a well curated and cared for selection of interesting cheeses and meats. Everything cut to order. I've enjoyed some really nice Red Hawk and Tomme Crayeuse, various meats from Biellese, Quercia, and Fra'Mani, some decent Niman Ranch guanciale, and a nice porchetta. They also sell some wine, olive oil, chocolates, and a so-so baguette from Sweetish Hill or Texas French Bread or one of those places.

Central Market has really upped their charcuterie program over the past yr, though they need to spend some time educating the very friendly staff. WF's charcuterie program is still a joke and inferior to every NYC WF outpost, even though they claim it as their flagship store. Their cheese program has improved, but whatever weird organic certification they have means they can't cut Red Hawk on a board that was used to cut a piece of Pleasant Ridge Reserve until it's been thoroughly washed, along with the utensils, etc. It's ridiculous. So order your Mt Tam before hitting the meat counter.

Anyway, Antonelli's is worth a visit. Try to go during off hours, though, or be prepared to wait. The wait is like going to DiPalo's or something.

My friend Kelly works there. SHE is the real cheese expert, by the way. Comes via CM, where she spent many years pretty much learning everything there is to know about cheese.

My friend Kelly works there. SHE is the real cheese expert, by the way. Comes via CM, where she spent many years pretty much learning everything there is to know about cheese.

She's really nice, too. They all are, actually. I think the owners both put in a stint at Murray's (not working, just learning, I think), but, yeah, non-cheese backgrounds.

• 2 months later...