Sign in to follow this  
Chocolate is a girls best friend

Gotham Bar and Grill

I don't mean "interesting" as in "attracting your interest" (for that, I use "compelling").  I mean, "interesting" (in scare quotes) as in "cheffy dishes not directly based on traditional reciipes and not available elsewhere".

That's how I meant it as well - although that is what attracts my interest, so one and the same. 

The last time I dined at Frenchette [late, after 10 pm], the crowd was -all- olds. I mean, often older than me. I kept wondering what happened to the Downtown kids. That said, they were the sort of olds who I imagine used to eat at Odeon in the 1980s. Gotham is popular with…well, my last girlfriend's parents, my parents, etc.

To pull a new, younger crowd, I suspect the room would have to undergo significant aesthetic updating. Had the décor changed at all?

Edited: man, lamb collar seems awfully déclassé for a restaurant like this.

Also, I hated the wine list.  For just the reasons you'd expect.

Have they changed the list? Always thought it was very comprehensive and quite international in its breadth, though the mark-ups were high.

Also, I hated the wine list. For just the reasons you'd expect.

Have they changed the list? Always thought it was very comprehensive and quite international in its breadth, though the mark-ups were high.

Haven’t been there in too long to be able to say if it’s changed, but mostly bottles that are way too young for way too much money.

Also, I hated the wine list. For just the reasons you'd expect.

Haven’t been there in too long to be able to say if it’s changed, but mostly bottles that are way too young for way too much money.

Oh shit.  I've just been informed that if you flip to the back of the wine book, there's a separate list of natural wines with minuscule mark-ups.

Seems to be another part of their scheme to drive out their old customers and attract new ones.  Although it might not work if the "new" list is hidden in the back.  Maybe they tell younger customers about it -- but not geriatrics who keep repeating that it's been 20 years since they ate there.

That list has been around a few years. Last ate there some 3/4 years ago and it was included, but wouldn't say the mark-ups are miniscule - at least not then.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that they've cut back on their hours, moving closing time up to an almost ridiculously early hour during the week (9:45?????????????  In a restaurant that is, technically, "Downtown"????????).

That can't be a good sign.

I really can't imagine this iteration of this place working.