[Wine Country] Napa, Sonoma, Novarro Flooding

Here's a flood gauge map of the northern CA region.

Flooding yesterday and last night put some water into downtown Napa, and the Russian River overflowed in both Healdsburg and Guerneville. Gauges are not reporting from Navarro, where flooding is also underway.

If you click on the dot, you'll pull up the historical gauge, a parabola above the line means some flooding at the measurement point.

Floods

I was seeing the scenes on tv and thinking, I wonder where that is? and then I saw our Cineplex almost underwater. it was Napa! Later, I tried to get out, thinking I'd avoid downtown but the end of my street that hits Silverado Trail was a lake! I tried an alternate route and it was worse. I finally made it out but it was very hairy. I had some friends coming over for New Years Eve and everyone had a story to tell. It was pretty wild. Had to drink lots of champagne to comfort myself!

I was seeing the scenes on tv and thinking, I wonder where that is? and then I saw our Cineplex almost underwater. it was Napa! Later, I tried to get out, thinking I'd avoid downtown but the end of my street that hits Silverado Trail was a lake! I tried an alternate route and it was worse. I finally made it out but it was very hairy. I had some friends coming over for New Years Eve and everyone had a story to tell. It was pretty wild. Had to drink lots of champagne to comfort myself!

I am so glad you're safe. That sounds pretty hairy.

We had quite an interesting New Year's Eve in Yountville last night. Hwy 29 was closed from 5:30 Saturday morning until 6:00 this morning, and the Silverado Trail was totally impassable, meaning that almost no restaurant staff could make it into Yountville and points north. The only restaurants serving in Yountville last night were Napa Valley Grille, Hurley's, Bouchon and, I believe, the Laundry. We didn't venture out to see if Domaine Chandon was open or not. We had reservations at PJ Steak, and as late as 6:00, they assured us they would be able to accommodate us. At 6:45, we received a call stating that they would not be serving, after all. I don't blame them, as the weather was an act of God. I just wish they had been more truthful with us when we checked in at 6:00! Of course, any place open was mobbed, but Hurley's was kind enough to take our names for any anticipated cancellations. They then went through their entire reservation book, calling people to make sure they were still coming. As luck would have it, they called us just before 7:00 and had a table. Our server had come over from Middletown (Lake County), and it took her 4 hours (a usual 1 hour drive). Bob Hurley somehow made four trips into Napa in a 4WD vehicle, braving the closed highways, to bring enough staff in to open the restaurant. He didn't want to disappoint many of his local, faithful customers who were anticipating a New Year's Eve celebration. Unbelieveably, under those horrible circumstances, the service and food were really quite excellent. The entire staff had to bunk in with friends after service.

We left early this morning for our home in the South Bay to avoid further problems with the coming storm.