• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yay! I won a contest at work, and will be spending a fun filled week in mid February in lovely Playa del Carmen. We will probably be eating the majority of our meals with the group that we will be tra

I get it. The dolphin living is worse than the lobster being killed.

The UN's latest update on the street value of cocaine is from 2010? Can't the reporter go to the NOLA police department for more current pricing?

well here's your problem right there - a guy named Mohammed flying a private plane into a small airstrip. He could have been transporting orphans to meet their adoptive parents and still gotten cavity searched on landing.

Apparently when Donato (Vince's brother, not arrested) came to Playa his first business was shipping vehicles... I can only imagine they were a bit heavier than normal.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

well here's your problem right there - a guy named Mohammed flying a private plane into a small airstrip. He could have been transporting orphans to meet their adoptive parents and still gotten cavity searched on landing.

Apparently when Donato (Vince's brother, not arrested) came to Playa his first business was shipping vehicles... I can only imagine they were a bit heavier than normal.

It's now being reported that the brothers served as liaison between the Zetas and 'Ndrangheta. Scary stuff.

• 1 month later...

Don't plan on spending too much time in PDC while we're in the area next week but is there something worth stopping for?

I haven't been in a few years and it always changes so much between visits.

I don't know what's worth a stop, but some food and drink of note:

The vuelva a la vida at El Pez Volador, for example. And most other things there (but make sure to order one round at a time or the kitchen will just produce everything as quickly as possible)

Whole fish at La Penita de Jaltemba or as always at El Pirata on 40th Street with salpicon to start.

Cocktails on the bar at Almirante Pech (maybe with a small plate or two, but probably not worth a full meal)

The whole fish at La Penita del Jaltemba was spectacular last time but they seemed to be struggling, so it might not be again... El Pirata on 40th remains the local choice for whole fried fish, salpicon, caldo, etc.

There's a friendly craft beer bar (mostly bottles) called El Club de la Cerveza

The old standbys are still there. (the morning food carts have been moved a couple of blocks inland)

Euro Grill on 5th Ave. just north of Constituentes for well made, no nonsense German sausages (Ronny the sausagemaker keeps moving around, but I think he's still there)

Many other openings and closings (openings ,mostly), but probably nothing relevant to a short stop.

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up stopping by for a quick lunch on the way down and a taco on the way up. The lunch was the easiest/quickest thing we could find -- an octopus ceviche (one of the better ceviches among many on the trip) and some tacos (the pastor style fish tacos was new for me -- but too sweet) at a beach spot.

Lauren wanted a taco al pastor and we tried but it wasn't happening so chorizo tacos were had on the way to the airport. They were good -- chorizo with crispy fried bits -- but not worth almost missing our (changed without any notification) flight.

• 1 year later...

Xavier Perez Stone is an excellent chef, running an excellent mid-range modern (not in the molecular sense) Mexican restaurant in Playa del Carmen. In case you are in the area and he's still there, you should try it.