Sign in to follow this  
NewYorkTexan

Rounders has some competition

As I continue to explore central and South Austin, I stumbled upon a new pizza place that opened about 3 months ago, Home Slice Pizza, across the street from Gueros.

This is the closest to a "New York City pizza joint" as I have seen in Texas. The pizza may be the best in Austin. The crust had the right balance of crispness and tenderness, the sauce was rich in flavor and it was not overwhelmed with too much cheese.

My friend and I just had time for a quick slice each, but I want to go back and try some more of the menu...the calzones looked awesome.

Hey David, this afternoon I picked up my grad school-going goddaughter at ABI and took her immediately over to Home Slice. We had the Marguerita pizza and both of us loved it. The crust was not too thin, it had just enough sauce, and the folks there were really nice. I'll try Insalata Caprese next time. They have a couple of good beers available too. I like the atmosphere and there is parking (yippee), a real plus on South Congress. Thanks for the recommendation...

I'm off on Thursday. This is my destination....

The WSJ article from the other day mentioned some pizza places are treating their water to mimic the pure mountain streams which supply the NY system, and importing flour and cheese used by NY pizzerias. This seems pretty bizarre, but...

Do you know if this establishment is doing any of that, or just making good, thin crust pizza?

Went to Home Slice Pizza on Saturday for lunch -- had a calzone. It ranks in the top 5 as one of the best. Had a small house salad that, really, was a meal itself.

I will go back even though it's a long way from home.

I guess the secret is out about Home Slice. Tried to go there tonight after a business cocktail party (there should be a law against having an open bar with top shelf booze and no food...) and there was a line out the door at the pizza place.

It's all your fault, David!

Call me a latecomer, but I agree with my fellow native NY'er that Home Slice is pretty darned authentic, and the atmosphere seems almost too perfect, down to the 14-year-old apprentice waiter wearing a '30s style sideways cloth cap! Call me nuts, but it's always seemed to me that an authentic New York slice has something of the 'street made edible' in it -- the crunch of the crust, the somewhat rubbery, resistant quality of the cheese, and the nicely spiced sauce. I'm sure the water has a lot to do with it, too. I got a medium-sized cheese-with-pepperoni to go and although I raved about it, my Jersey-bred wife still prefers the softer, more easily yielding mouthfeel of her home state's pies, exemplified in these parts by Saccone's in NW Austin (which I think of as the New Jersey Embassy -- stop in sometime, you'll see).

A very friendly place is Home Slice, and I loved the mottos in the mural on the wall: "HEALTH, STRENGTH, VITALITY/CLAIM YOUR HERITAGE/PIZZA IS YOUR BIRTHRIGHT." Indeed!

So, when is Pizza Night, folks? :lol:

Yeah, I sure do prefer Saccone's... Not that I would deny Home Slice as an authentic New York pie; I just prefer a good old Jersey one.

Thinking of New York pizza inevitably conjures of unpleasant memories of every place called Ray's... I'm sorry--they can't ALL be the original, famous Ray's, can they? :lol: Hmmn...

But I digress. I think of NY pizza as a necessity... something you can grab and down on the fly when you don't have time to duck into a diner. The Home Slice crust seemed okay at first taste, but by the time I neared the end of my small "medium" slice, the remaining crust was like crunchy cardboard. I got a genuine laugh that as we were discussing the pie, just as I was thinking how I didn't like the mouthfeel and found the cheese too resistant, W commented that he liked the mouthfeel and rubbery resistance of of it. :lol:

See, the resistance is something I find distressing. When I take a bite, I don't want giant additional clumps of cheese to come off along with the ones I've purposely eaten--that just leaves a bunch of cheeseless crust behind, and that's just not a good thing. That just leaves things too saucy--again, distressng because I generally approve of sauciness. On that note, the sauce was nice, but I'll always be a sucker for Saccone's sweet sauce.

But as always, chaqu'un a son gout.

P.S. I liked this pie better cold as leftovers...