Casual Eats Essentials

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all -- my first post.

Might as well scratch Cantina Da Linha in astoria, because it closed. The brazillian counter that opened up there in its place is not as good. Not bad. Haven't gone for feijoada though.

Have to nominate Annie's Roti at Rockaway and 123rd. I've only eaten there once (this month) but it was amazing --

• 11 months later...
  • 16 years later...

Resurrecting this ancient thread because it's one of the only places Lil Frankie's is mentioned, and we've eaten there twice recently. I discussed the first time without revealing the restaurant's name, because we waited so long to get our check that we gave up and left. The waiter chased us down, we went back and paid, and the manager gave us a gift certificate as an apology. Which we used tonight. Spoiler alert: we got the check in a timely fashion.

The food was uneven. I had the fava bean and dandelion green soup, which was excellent. I wasn't expecting a puree, but I absolutely love pea soup, and this was quite similar. The bread's good, the olive oil is better. My spinach ravioli was less successful: mushy, and drowned under a too-acidic red sauce and that awful beaded parmesan. H's pizza margherita was okay - good crust, mediocre cheese, not enough basil. We had the bufala mozzarella pizza and the gnocchi last time, and both of those were superior to what we had tonight.

I also had a glass of orange wine which I liked enough to order a bottle when we got home. I would've ordered more, but one bottle was all Bowery and Vine had in stock. This, if you're interested.

image.png.0920b6f0cec86f22bab399f0cb200962.png

One neat thing about the restaurant is that their by-the-glass list is actually twice as long as it appears, because there's also a "by consumption" page of wines they're willing to open for you. I'm not sure why this is different from by-the-glass, but I thought it was a fine idea. Oh, and it was packed. There were a couple of empty tables when we arrived that filled up in ten or so minutes. And apropos of nothing, the woman seated nearest me was wearing a strapless romper and had wedding hair (reminiscent of Phyllis on The Mary Tyler Moore Show), which I think is worth mentioning.

On 11/14/2021 at 10:42 PM, small h said:

Resurrecting this ancient thread because it's one of the only places Lil Frankie's is mentioned, and we've eaten there twice recently. I discussed the first time without revealing the restaurant's name, because we waited so long to get our check that we gave up and left. The waiter chased us down, we went back and paid, and the manager gave us a gift certificate as an apology. Which we used tonight. Spoiler alert: we got the check in a timely fashion.

The food was uneven. I had the fava bean and dandelion green soup, which was excellent. I wasn't expecting a puree, but I absolutely love pea soup, and this was quite similar. The bread's good, the olive oil is better. My spinach ravioli was less successful: mushy, and drowned under a too-acidic red sauce and that awful beaded parmesan. H's pizza margherita was okay - good crust, mediocre cheese, not enough basil. We had the bufala mozzarella pizza and the gnocchi last time, and both of those were superior to what we had tonight.

I also had a glass of orange wine which I liked enough to order a bottle when we got home. I would've ordered more, but one bottle was all Bowery and Vine had in stock. This, if you're interested.

image.png.0920b6f0cec86f22bab399f0cb200962.png

One neat thing about the restaurant is that their by-the-glass list is actually twice as long as it appears, because there's also a "by consumption" page of wines they're willing to open for you. I'm not sure why this is different from by-the-glass, but I thought it was a fine idea. Oh, and it was packed. There were a couple of empty tables when we arrived that filled up in ten or so minutes. And apropos of nothing, the woman seated nearest me was wearing a strapless romper and had wedding hair (reminiscent of Phyllis on The Mary Tyler Moore Show), which I think is worth mentioning.

Oddly I was recently at LF’s for the first time since… heck, maybe since this topic was last active.

Meatball pizza was everything I’d expect from a meatball pizza. Some fried ga-la-mah to start, a simple, bitter tricolore salad and a cheap gluggable chianti made for a meal I certainly couldn’t complain about.