• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Oh good, their web-site is up to date. Yes, delicious crunchy brussel sprouts working against the sweetness of the pears, and cider in the rich reduction.

If you're going to reference a website like that, at least have the courtesy to provide a link, fuschia swine!

GrayZ.net

And, to tell the truth, the dishes had Kunz's fingerprints all over them.

Eww, you'd think the expeditor would have wiped them. :angry:

Seriously, though, thanks for the write-up, links, etc. Sounds like a possiblity for the next Orpheus concert.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not going to burden you all with posts about every meal I eat at Grayz, but last night's supper disclosed some news.

They've changed the five-course (three savories, two desserts) tasting menu. They've also raised its price (from $79 to $85). It's still five courses -- but they appear to be, in the aggregate, less substantial (whereas before the three savories consisted of two main-dish-type dishes and a soup, now they're a fish salad, an appetizer-type dish, and a main dish). OTOH, as a whole, the new tasting menu looked more attractive to me than the old one. But the $6 increase makes it seem less of a "bargain."

I didn't have the tasting menu, in any event. I had the truffle-foie gras mille fuille (which is, as Wilfrid or someone has noted, not remotely a mille fuille) and the duckling. They were both excellent. I mean really excellent.

Value here is, of course, a problem. You just have to live with that going in.

People whose taste I respect have told me I overrate Grayz, and that it's just not that good. I acknowledge that taste is beyond dispute, but I honestly can't understand how they could think that.

For what it's worth, I rate the food as highly as you; nevertheless, I expect the general awkwardness of the place and the limited menu will keep Bruni below three stars tomorrow. Right now, the food quality is three star.

Isn't it early for a Times review?

Dubble-posted with madam.

Well, that is truly a disservice to his readers. Right now, it's one of the best places to eat in town.

At least we can keep it to ourselves.

befuddled and befuddling

I was paid per word when I first freelanced, thirty years ago, and I swear I wouldn't get away with that crap. The place is confused, as I said on the Pink Pig, but the food is three star.

• 1 month later...

Changes for the better and worse at Grayz.

For the better: they got rid of the list of house cocktails and have replaced it with a page of classic gin cocktails and another page of classic other cocktails. You might say (as I have in the past) that you're sick of promotions of "prohibition-era cocktails" and that at least it shows more creativity to have some new ones. But I'd rather order a Monkey Gland (with some assurance, since it's on the list, that they'll know how to make it) than some too-sweet ill-considered house concoction. So good for them.

For the worse: the tasting menu has now edged up to $98. So it's no longer the relative bargain it was at $75. I guess they were waiting for the Bruni review. (Heh heh.)

Speaking of the Bruni review, I've had two post-opera (or in tonight's case, post-"opera") dinners out this week. One was at Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill. The other was here at Grayz. They both cost about the same.* The Grayz dinner was about three times as good as the BRSB&G dinner. BRSB&G has two NYT stars. Grayz has one.

Go figure.

________________________________________________________________________________

* To be sure, I got comped a pretty expensive glass of dessert wine at Grayz tonight. But OTOH, I didn't order any dessert wine at BRSB&G. Or any dessert (as I did at Grayz -- and paid for), for that matter. Could it be that Grayz is a better deal than BRSB&G, even putting aside Grayz's incredibly higher quality?

Speaking of the Bruni review, I've had two post-opera (or in tonight's case, post-"opera") dinners out this week. One was at Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill. The other was here at Grayz. They both cost about the same.* The Grayz dinner was about three times as good as the BRSB&G dinner. BRSB&G has two NYT stars. Grayz has one.

It's a fascinating comparison. The opening concept at Grayz was highly problematic. Despite a very long gestation (just like Café Gray), Kunz got an awful lot of things wrong (just like Café Gray). Given the state of the restaurant when Bruni reviewed it, I felt that one star was correct. But Grayz clearly has the potential to be better than it started out. Given the talent involved, you had to figure it would indeed improve.

Bruni's two-star rating for BRSB&G was hard to comprehend, even by his standards. Unlike Grayz, BRSB&G doesn't have much potential to improve. If anything, it will probably slip a little, as its owners move on to their next adventure. It's also just one of many Blue Ribbons, and one of many sushi places, while Grayz is unique. It's worth noting that, in the last year, Bruni has given two stars apiece to four Japanese places: 15 East, Rosanjin, Soto, and BRSB&G. Which one of these doesn't quite belong in the same sentence as the others?