On December 31st, there was a nice catch of barracuda:

caughtbarracuda8al.jpg

barracudateeth6rj.jpg

For lunch we had ceviche de barracuda, and fried barracuda:

cevichedebarracuda6ue.jpg

friedbarracuda2or.jpg

That that night for dinner, which was New Year's Eve, we had this:

newyearsbarracuda23dd.jpg

Unfortunately I can't remember what they called it (it's a traditional Mayan celebratory fish feast recipe), but the method is this: They rubbed the fish with a spice paste, wrapped them in banana leaves, and buried them in the sand for half a day. Then before dinner, they dug pits in the sand, and started with a wood fire in the pits, topped with rocks. They lay the fish (they added pineapple, tomatoes, peppers, and onions into the leaves) on the rocks, covered them with additional hot rocks, covered the pits with palm fronds, and then roasted the fish in the pits. The fish was incredibly moist, flaky, and had a smoky, peppery flavor with a hint of heat. Served with pickled onions and fried plantains.

More from breakfast:

breakfastbuffet10al.jpg

breakfastbuffet22qo.jpg

Every morning, here's where you get your coffee and hot chocolate:

coffeandhotchocolate7qe.jpg

On the table at every meal:

Pico de gallo

picodegallo6kc.jpg

And habanero salsa:

habanerosalsa3jh.jpg

This is the hottest thing I have ever put in my mouth. And the fresh habaneros they use are huge - much bigger than anything I've ever seen elsewhere.

Everybody is always asking us "what do you mean, no electricity?" What about showering and toilets?

Here's what the toilets look like:

xit7pi.jpg

They are shared - there are 6 or 8 of these altogether.

Here's what the showers look like:

xower9jj.jpg

And here's where you shave (for those who do), brush your teeth, get purified drinking water:

xave7jp.jpg

We got coconuts from the trees all the time, so this was a frequent activity:

coconutology10py.jpg

coconutology28vk.jpg

We got pretty good at judging what the quantity and quality of the coconut milk would be, based on the color and the size of the exterior. The best coconuts were the ones that had some but not a lot of liquid, and very soft meat, almost gelatinous. We used a spoon to scrape it out.

Unfortunately I can't remember what they called it (it's a traditional Mayan celebratory fish feast recipe), but the method is this: They rubbed the fish with a spice paste, wrapped them in banana leaves, and buried them in the sand for half a day. Then before dinner, they dug pits in the sand, and started with a wood fire in the pits, topped with rocks. They lay the fish (they added pineapple, tomatoes, peppers, and onions into the leaves) on the rocks, covered them with additional hot rocks, covered the pits with palm fronds, and then roasted the fish in the pits. The fish was incredibly moist, flaky, and had a smoky, peppery flavor with a hint of heat. Served with pickled onions and fried plantains.

It's like Kalua Fish. BTW, you did well with the camera. Any added lenses or just the one that came with the 610?