• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Steven Dilley and I had a stellar dinner at Yasuda last night. We were fortunate enough to get a seat at Yasuda's station; it was very amusing to watch his reactions to our eagerness to try everythin

I remember being excited by some of the sushi at Megu - the sea eel, I think, and the otoro. But it does come after a blitz of hot, cooked dishes, so it's quite a different experience; not that there

It fit on a standard Yasuda-size rice clump. But didn't stick over the sides.

Had it been grilled? If so, it sounds like it could be <i>suji</i>. But I know you and Orik would know better than to think that toro sinew was liver (or for Yasuda to tell you it was liver - though his English is not brilliant).

Like Wilfred, I am resolved to make Yasuda more of a priority on my next trip.

Scallop is right, I had this weekend before last. Best guts I ever ate.

Just to be clear, this, I believe, is the delicious deep orange stuff you get from the scallop, not the grayish substance that I recall as being identified as scallop liver last night. Right?

It's probably from either abalone or sea cucumber, not scallop.

It's amazing that the omakase keeps getting cheaper - $95 last week, the lowest it's ever been.

Scallop is right, I had this weekend before last. Best guts I ever ate.

Just to be clear, this, I believe, is the delicious deep orange stuff you get from the scallop, not the grayish substance that I recall as being identified as scallop liver last night. Right?

It's probably from either abalone or sea cucumber, not scallop.

It's amazing that the omakase keeps getting cheaper - $95 last week, the lowest it's ever been.

Wow. I'm assuming there was no lessening in the amount or quality of the food.

No lessening.

(It's also a lot more than $95 if you sit at the bar and eat a lot.) (And Yasuda-san actually commented that other people eat more than me and my dining companion.) (But he might just have been trying to make at least the female one of us feel good.)

I don't think I've ever ordered the omakase at Yasuda. I've always sat at the bar and had Yasuda-san feed us, and then paid on an a-la-carte basis. Have I been ripped off?

That's why I asked the question I did above. To me, your m.o. *is* the omakase. Orik, what do you mean by omakase? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

I don't think there's a real distinction. I always order the omakase (at the bar), and get fed by the chef until he asks whether I've had enough; my recollection is that the check is usually itemized, but that is not inconsistent with Orik's comments about the general price. Is there a set omakase if you sit at a table? I haven't done so.

I don't think I've ever ordered the omakase at Yasuda. I've always sat at the bar and had Yasuda-san feed us, and then paid on an a-la-carte basis. Have I been ripped off?

Yes, that's what I meant.

"Sushi?"

"Yes"

"As always, everything is fine?"

"Yes"

Payment is always on an a-la-carte basis, but I suspect there may be some omissions or we don't eat a lot.