Currently Reading...

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished Ask the Dust by John Fante, a slim novel which didn't live up to the extravagant praise I've heard from Bukowski fans. Henry Miller and Hubert Selby did this kind of thing much better.

I'm currently reading Middlesex, has anyone else read it? I remember it being discussed elsewhere and people were criticizing the fact that it won the pulitzer prize. Maybe not Pulitzer Prize worthy

Several of the pieces in Paris to the Moon appeared earlier as Gopnik's monthly Letters from Paris to The New Yorker. His use of adjectives to describe the weather, the neighborhood, etc impressed me

I am reading "In Cold Blood" again.

It's the "again" part that is disturbing, of course.

I too have read it more than once. It's a great book.

Nero, come sit by me.

I've only read it once, but would maybe read it again. I think I get points for reading it while staying alone (other than the dog) in a cabin in the middle of nowhere in Oregon.

I just finished Water for Elephants. I know others read this back when it was a little fresher on the scene. I loved it. About a third of the way into it I was beginning to pick the cast for the movie and lo and behold, it is apparently in production for a 2010 release.

Nero, come sit by me.

I've only read it once, but would maybe read it again. I think I get points for reading it while staying alone (other than the dog) in a cabin in the middle of nowhere in Oregon.

I just finished Water for Elephants. I know others read this back when it was a little fresher on the scene. I loved it. About a third of the way into it I was beginning to pick the cast for the movie and lo and behold, it is apparently in production for a 2010 release.

I had to read The Executioner's Song in manuscript back when I worked for the literary agency. I understood its genius. I also understood that I was no longer at all curious about In Cold Blood even though it may be a better book. Life is just too damn short to spend in those places, y'know?

And here, 30 years later, it's even shorter.

Stumbled on this yesterday* and have to share:

" I cannot face my feet this morning--they are under my chair as I write, maintaining a vast hurt silence. I will try to win back their favor by means of slippers, the softest of socks, bathings in scented water, massages and possibly reading them to sleep at night. Heyho!"

*Campbell Grant, 1937

Walt Disney animator of Snow White, Fantasia, Bambi, Dumbo, et al.

Noticias, Santa Barbara Historical Society

Nero, come sit by me.

I've read it more than once, too, the first time serialized in the New Yorker and then in my first edition.

I'm furiously trying to get through Leslie Miller's Let Me Eat Cake before I give it to my dad on Saturday for his birthday. While she did include a few recipes, it's not a cookbook at all. It's about the history of cake (in general and certain cakes) and Miller's personal relationship with it. It's kind of organized like Steve Almond's Candyfreak: she gets into family history, visits factories and bakeshops in and around her hometown of Baltimore, takes cake decorating classes at a local baking supply store, etc. It's very funny and is an enjoyable read.

The Ancestor's Tale, Richard Dawkins -- backwards through time to the beginning of life on earth. Going backwards eliminates the notion that evolution somehow worked toward a culmination in humans. Interesting, but a bit of a slog for a non-scientist.
The Ancestor's Tale, Richard Dawkins -- backwards through time to the beginning of life on earth. Going backwards eliminates the notion that evolution somehow worked toward a culmination in humans. Interesting, but a bit of a slog for a non-scientist.

Where's Wilfrid? I'm confident he'd take Dawkins to task for many other reasons.

Where's Wilfrid? I'm confident he'd take Dawkins to task for many other reasons.

Oh, I'm quite sure of that. What does Glyn think?

Oh, I'm quite sure of that. What does Glyn think?

I tried and failed to read The Selfish Gene because I found the prose plodding. But as far as I know his ideas on evolution are pretty mainstream though he may be more gene centric than most. Certainly the idea that evolution is non-directional is completely conventional.

On memes I am agnostic bordering skeptical.