Currently Reading...

But I do agree, it's highly questionable whether this year's election takes place.

It could be briefly postponed, but it would require an amendment to the Constitution to prevent the current President’s term expiring. As that would presumptively leave the Speaker in charge, don’t bet on the GOP rooting for it.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished Ask the Dust by John Fante, a slim novel which didn't live up to the extravagant praise I've heard from Bukowski fans. Henry Miller and Hubert Selby did this kind of thing much better.

I'm currently reading Middlesex, has anyone else read it? I remember it being discussed elsewhere and people were criticizing the fact that it won the pulitzer prize. Maybe not Pulitzer Prize worthy

Several of the pieces in Paris to the Moon appeared earlier as Gopnik's monthly Letters from Paris to The New Yorker. His use of adjectives to describe the weather, the neighborhood, etc impressed me

This isn't political it's a law situation.

Just to clarify, even if a president declares Martial Law, she/he has no right to stop an election.

However under Martial Law, local leaders (governors, mayors, judges etc) do have the right to suspend elections until martial law is revoked.

But if some of the medical pundits are correct, this may/could happen - and not briefly. There is no stipulation on how long martial law may stay in place.

On the other hand, election laws can be changed to allow more early voting - and more electronic options.

Bringing this back to topic.....

Those of you who were New York Press readers way back when probably remember Ben Katchor's strip "Julius Knipl, Real Estate Photographer".  He has a new book that's illustrated by him but is historical non-fiction, called The Dairy Restaurant. From the back cover:

"Ben Katchor retells the history of where we choose to eat--a history that starts with the first man who was allowed to enter a walled garden and encouraged by the garden's owner to enjoy the fruits. He examines the biblical milk-and-meat taboo, the first vegetarian practices, and the invention of the restaurant.  Through text and drawings, Katchor illuminates the historical confluence of events and ideas that lead to the development of a 'milekhdike (dairy" personality' and the proliferation of dairy restaurants in America, and he recollects his own experiences in many of these iconic restaurants just before they disappeared."

• Like 1