Wilfrid1

Currently Reading...

This is a commonplace, but it is so true that Satan's speeches (and internal monologues) are the best part of "Paradise Lost." Within the four corners of the poem (i.e. this is not a comment about religion), God comes across as a narcissist, Jesus like an odd combination of Buddha and Mighty Thor, and Adam and Eve as unspeakably dull.

Still this is a fun read, apart from the Homeric lists of weird names (of demons, places) which are easily skimmed. The battle scenes are like something out of Transformers -- I wonder how their original readers imagined them. I'm halfway through.

Of course, of course. 🙃

The treatment of Eve in Book 8 is not especially woke. When the angel starts explaining astronomy she walks out, not because the subject is beyond her, but because she prefers to hear about complicated things from her husband.

(Satan is back in the next book, and not before time.)

Meanwhile, Dr Zhivago turns out to be a good read: action and romance against a big deal historical backdrop, much familiar from the movie of course. Since the writing is nothing special, one believes the critics who say Pasternak’s vaunted style is lost in translation.

Lean’s movie made a lasting impact. I saw it on the big screen (probably aged about 7). The deafening trains, the riot scenes, the snow, the daffodils, Julie Christie - all overwhelming. His Lawrence of Arabia haunted me too.

Kathy Acker, In Memoriam to Identity

Kingsley Amis, The Egyptologists

Jane Austen, the novels which aren't P&P or S&S

Cockton, Valentine Vox, Ventriloquist

Dickens, Pickwick Papers and Edwin Drood

Lawrence Durrell, Tunc and Nunquam

Gautier, the novels which aren't Mlle de Maupin

Grass, Dog Years

Hugo, Les Miserables

Kafka, The Castle

Sinclair Lewis, Ann Vickers

Pasternak, Dr Zhivago

Pushkin, huge anthology

Sir Walter Scott, various

Mark Twain, the collected works and I certainly haven't read all of them*

Douglas Woolf, Wall to Wall  (Actually Fade Out, I had read Wall to Wall)

I feel I should read Nunquam,  the sequel to Tunc, but not very enthusiastic. Otherwise, what next?

Re-reading "Song of Myself."

Negative Dialectics, Adorno -- I've studied passages, but never read it right through.

Just finished The Egyptologists by Kingsley Amis and Robert Conquest. Dreadful.

I tend to forget I have a free subscription to CloudLibrary through my New York Society membership, so I just borrowed the eBook edition of Claude McKay's Romance in Marseille, reissued this year by Penguin. That will allow me to kick Nunquam further down the road.

I’m reading Waverley Root’s Food of France yet again. And should I be embarrassed I still get recipe ideas from the Nero Wolfe cookbook?

12 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

There appear to be cookbooks and cocktail/spirits books strewn all around my apartment, everywhere one looks. 

And why, exactly, is this a problem?