Currently Reading...

[it's very funny, in the Pale Fire/ Debt to Pleasure school of unreliable, deluded narrators, my favorite.

Have you ever read Jubb by Keith Waterhouse? Seeing that description of an unreliable, deluded narrator twigged my memory about it...

I very much enjoyed A Debt to Pleasure. But Jubb IIRC is creepier...

Fly

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished Ask the Dust by John Fante, a slim novel which didn't live up to the extravagant praise I've heard from Bukowski fans. Henry Miller and Hubert Selby did this kind of thing much better.

I'm currently reading Middlesex, has anyone else read it? I remember it being discussed elsewhere and people were criticizing the fact that it won the pulitzer prize. Maybe not Pulitzer Prize worthy

Several of the pieces in Paris to the Moon appeared earlier as Gopnik's monthly Letters from Paris to The New Yorker. His use of adjectives to describe the weather, the neighborhood, etc impressed me

Posted Images

[it's very funny, in the Pale Fire/ Debt to Pleasure school of unreliable, deluded narrators, my favorite.

Have you ever read Jubb by Keith Waterhouse? Seeing that description of an unreliable, deluded narrator twigged my memory about it...

Fly

I found Waterhouse's Billy Liar very funny, but that was a long time ago.

Just finished Forster's Howards End--we're having kind of a book club at work. I found it very good, though some of the prose was a bit mannered, making it difficult to figure out the point he was trying to make. However, that was redeemed by some witty and humorous bits, which in all honesty I wouldn't have expected from him (for some reason, I had it in my mind that he was a bit of a prig, possibly because he was a closeted homosexual).

I seem to remember Julie Burchill once making a similar claim. In Posh's defense, I am not sure she's held herself out as an authority on anything in particular.

Closely related to another topic, Shane Warne's 'auto'biography contains the blinding line on page 6: 'I've picked up the odd book in my time, but I've never actually managed to read one the whole way through.' couldn't say I managed that myself with that particular volume...

GB 84 - a pleasingly journalistic account of the 1984 miners' strike.

It's just me that found it too difficult to follow then.

Though discussion of the book's contents are beyond the scope of this board I think of it as a description of the formation of eGullet (the government of the time) from the Chowhound (of the collectivist tradition) as told through the minds of significant actors. The figureheads referred to variously as the fat one, the fatter one & so on.

With a darker undercurrent suggesting that there are covert forces at work who may wish to establish a different sort of website altogether. the book alludes of course to the figure of Sir Wilfrid Walker and also a successful jewish businessman, which is of course anti-semitism.

No, I'd never heard of it before. But I'll keep my eye out for it...