Bruce Frigard - Winesonoma

It is with tremendous sadness that I report the passing of our beloved friend and brother, Winesonoma (Bruce Frigard). Several weeks ago, he caught the cough that has been going around and it settled into his lungs. He was in the hospital in Sonoma for a week right after New Years, still reading the boards and staying in touch via his computer. A week later, he was transferred to UCSF and, having been put on a list for a potential lung transplant, succumbed on Saturday, January 14th.

I met Bruce just over two years ago, during the planning of an eGullet potluck at my house in Napa. Bruce was a Sonoma local who, during the planning of that event, offered extra tables, stoves, tables, etc. In that planning, when he learned I worked at an historical winery, dashed up to meet me in person, do some barrel tastings, and a great friendship was born.

At the potluck itself, I fell madly in love with his girlfriend, Patricia, and it was not hard to see their mutual attraction and high regard for one another. Bruce brought caseloads of his self-produced wine to the party for all to share. He often cajoled me to join him in a game of Petanque (yes, Bruce, I regret that I never once had the opportunity to play a game with you!) and regailed me with stories from his past and present. He loved to talk about his time working on the Golden Gate Bridge and although it was never confirmed, we both believed that we met twenty-some years ago via his ex-wife.

We met occasionally at this bar or that on the Sonoma square and the last time I saw him -- happy and enjoying food and wine -- was at The General's Daughter on Thanksgiving. I was pleased to be able to send over and share some vintage Champagne and we toasted each other, in thanks.

This evening, as I open a good bottle of St. Clemet Oroppas and nibble some fine cheese, I invite you to share your memories of Bruce Frigard, Winesonoma. His love of life was an inspiration to me and I shall miss him deeply. I am sure he touched many people here as well, through his obvious passion and love of food, wine, and life.

• Like 2
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is with tremendous sadness that I report the passing of our beloved friend and brother, Winesonoma (Bruce Frigard). Several weeks ago, he caught the cough that has been going around and it settled

So little can bring me to tears nowupon. But I cannot stop crying now. As the world gets a little emptier   Edit: Bruce and I exchanged some e-mails. He offered me a place to stay if I got to no

Squeat, you're a man after my own heart!

Sad. That is a beautiful tribute you wrote.

He wrote of his condition in a thread on OA about quitting smoking. Carolyn, what does it mean "he caught the cough that is going around?" I had no idea it was potentially lethal. I know a couple of people who have had a severe cough for weeks now. This worries me.

This is such terribly sad news.

Bruce was a terrific guy with a wonderful attitude, terrific sense of humor and strong character. He was of great help to me at the eG picnic I organized in Golden Gate Park. I am deeply saddened by this news.

So long, Bruce -- I'll miss you.

RIP

PS Carrie, do let me know if there is a service. I'd like to try to be there if I'm able.

Terrible unexpected news. I was looking forward to many more years of bantering back and forth & even to spend some time arguing in person during his threatened trip back to Bklyn. Rest in peace Bruce. We'll miss you.