The Olympics

People talk about "stolen" antiquities at the Cloisters, the British Museum, the Getty, et al. What about the Olympics? Have they been stolen by advertising, merchandising and cutting edge performance enhancing drugs? That seems to be the case.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, someone has to pay for it. The Olympics is an extraordinarily expensive event to pull off, and there is no amount they could charge for just seats to cover it. Why do cities/countries have to go into such debt if advertising and merchandising will do it? Greece was in financial ruin after Athens to the point where the country's debt was lowered to almost junk status. They ran over-budget from running late on building facilities -- they had 24 hr work crews shipped in from neighboring countries to get it done on time. Very expensive.

As for the drugs, it's very unfortunate, but is it as bad as in the early 80's when we used to joke about the East German women's swim team? They all had bass voices. Scary.

They seem to be testing, testing, testing and that's fine with me. The ones that are caught seem to be dealt with pretty severely.

I also hated it when they let professional athletes qualify, but since other countries had state sponsored programs paying their athletes, they were amateur in name only.

But I love the Olympics. Despite its flaws it's still the purest sports competition that exists, and I love seeing athletes who excel at sports that never come up except in the Olympics. Many will never have a professional career, because there is no pro league in what they do, yet they do it, devote their lives to it, become the best at it. And even though there is nationalism, the sportsmanship and brotherhood of the Olympics still seem more important. Hokey, maybe, but true.

I'll be rooting for Michelle Kwan. Go girl!! :blush:

A thinks they should let them take as many drugs as they can handle, and just enjoy the event as a battle to the death among a bunch of overdeveloped freaks. As far as he's concerned, right now it's just a question of which team has access to the latest undetectable drug. :blush:

Can you tell why I married the man? :huh:

<offtopic>the british museum didn't exactly buy its collection either...<\offtopic>

I absolutely love the Olympics. Especially winter. Wish I could afford to go somewhere where nobody could track me down that has a big screen TV and 'hole up' and watch every single event until it's over.

And thinking about poor Wilson Pickett has me a little rattled. 64? That means this could be my last Winter Olympics ever.

:blush:

A thinks they should let them take as many drugs as they can handle, and just enjoy the event as a battle to the death among a bunch of overdeveloped freaks. As far as he's concerned, right now it's just a question of which team has access to the latest undetectable drug. :blush:

Can you tell why I married the man? :huh:

That was what Bode Miller said on 60 minutes! :P

I absolutely love the Olympics.  Especially winter.  Wish I could afford to go somewhere where nobody could track me down that has a big screen TV and 'hole up' and watch every single event until it's over.

I went into Olympics hibernation during Athens. I squirmed with delight when NBC used all their channels -- Bravo, USA and CNBC -- to broadcast the most obscure sports! I became a badminton nut; I watched women's power lifting; I learned the nuances of equestrian dressage; and the drama of archery. Whow!

Can't wait for speed skating! Does our hockey team stand a chance?

I wish they would stop adding new events to the Olympics, especially sports that are well represented elsewhere, with pro leagues and the like. It just makes the schedule crazy and the whole shebang just so prohibitively costly. Does tennis really need to be an Olympic sport? Baseball, I understand, because you don't see really international competition except in the Olympics, but stuff like tennis, soccer, beach volleyball, etc... There's really no need.