The Olympics

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel I have to reply to Ranitdine. On the Today show, Mr. buttons was speaking of the skater who missed the bus and complained about his "princessy behavior" and when corrected, ( the woman said something like "actually, princely behavior", Mr Buttons said, No, I think princessy is a more apt term" or something to that effect. And they all laughed. I think if an openly gay man can react to that comment without offense, we all can as well.

I think his behavior was that of a nasty mean little girl, slinging verbal bullets around with great aim. A liitle boy would be more likely to punch somebody..a little girl would be more likely to cut somebody down with a comment.

I really don't care what his preference is, I care about how nasty and negative he was.

I really don't care what his preference is, I care about how nasty and negative he was.

Then why drag in his gayness, as if it were part and parcel of being negative and nasty?

It's one thing for a member of a particular group to make a joke about that group and quite another for an outsider to make the same comment.

3 That Speedie kid, the arial skier who tried the Hurricane, HE brought energy to

the  games, he tried to further the sport, he's the spirit I want there, not Bode's.

Well, unfortunately, Speedy Peterson got sent home early by the Torino authorities for getting drunk and starting a fight (with another American).

And just my 2 cents, to accuse another person on this board of gay-bashing (or any other serious hateful charge) shouldn't be done lightly or in cases where it's obvious that the speaker didn't intend it. Those are very serious accusations. I think rani should apologize, unless you have more proof than Kim's one innocent comment.

And just my 2 cents, to accuse another person on this board of gay-bashing (or any other serious hateful charge) shouldn't be done lightly or in cases where it's obvious that the speaker didn't intend it. Those are very serious accusations. I think rani should apologize, unless you have more proof than Kim's one innocent comment.

To quote the immortal Bill Klem, "I call 'em as I see 'em." If Kim wants an apology from me, she's welcome to PM me. You should butt out.

Then why drag in his gayness, as if it were part and parcel of being negative and nasty?

It's one thing for a member of a particular group to make a joke about that group and quite another for an outsider to make the same comment.

I think I explained that already, it was related to Button's own comments on the today show..that's the reason in the first place that I used the "prince" description. That adjective would not be consistant to how I would describe someone.

If I recall, his comment rec'd some kind of further press the following day, and I know a few of my coworkers brought it up that day..it was funny.

I think that if you can laugh along with a minority group, it means that you are being more authentic and true in your behavior with them. You label me an "outsider". I suggest to you that I am not... I am so completely comfortable with my gay friends and family members that its a non issue to me...but perhaps it was a mistake to post it here. Sometimes I get comfortable enough that I forget that you are strangers. People in my real life know that I was the NJ GLT constituency outreach director for the Democratic National Committee for Kerry, the same for the DSC for Corzine a year later, and that I have a long professional and personal history with the gay community, that I marched in Trenton for gay marriage along with my cousin and her partner, along with their 5 year old of whom I am godmother, my husband does pro bono for GLA, and most importantly my friend Andrew picks out all my shoes. ...really, I can keep listing my creds, but it would get boring and pathetic.

I know I wasn't gay bashing, but anyone else can interpret it as they might...I can only address my intent, not their perception. I live in my skin, and it's a good skin to live in. Albiet perhps too much of it, size 6 skin would be better. :unsure: ( and don't get me started on all the fat bashing that goes on around here!)

I don't understand the fascination people have with the Olympics at all. Doesn't it feel as if it has all been coopted by commercial interests? Amateurs? That's hilarious.

Jim Thorpe died in vain..... or something....oh, you know what I mean.

Also, for me, when they introduced synchronized swimming it was all over.

For me. For me. Hey, I'm entitled to my opinion. :unsure:

I have no fascination with the Olympics...bored by most of it..with a few exceptions. But recent history has put the Olympics on an international stage that allowed smaller countries to showcase themselves...which I enjoy.

Who can forget the Jamaican bobsled team..or the US beating the Soviet Union in hockey..in the 80s.

Bode Miller has chiseled himself a permanent spot on the list of "all time f** *ups " of Olympic history.

Who can forget the Jamaican bobsled team..or the US beating the Soviet Union in hockey..in the 80s.

everyone but americans and russians, probably. i didn't even know what the winter olympics were till i was well into my teens. and i didn't even know that when people said hockey they meant a game played on ice. we call it ice hockey where i'm from. the real hockey was dominated till the 1980 olympics by india and pakistan, till the europeans got sick of it and changed the rules.

everyone but americans and russians, probably. i didn't even know what the winter olympics were till i was well into my teens. and i didn't even know that when people said hockey they meant a game played on ice. we call it ice hockey where i'm from. the real hockey was dominated till the 1980 olympics by india and pakistan, till the europeans got sick of it and changed the rules.

Good point.

I made my post as an American.which I am. The rest of the world probably didn't even follow the sport in the same way.

That's about the only thing I enjoy about the Olympics....Learning how it's viewed globally.

Good point.

I made my post as an American.which I am. The rest of the world probably didn't even follow the sport in the same way.

That's about the only thing I enjoy about the Olympics....Learning how it's viewed globally.

A word about the '80 hockey team. Although it hasn't reached the same mythic status in the rest of the world, for the hockey playing countries it was a very big deal -- it proved the Soviets were beatable. The Soviet Union completely dominated international hockey competition during those years. They had won 4 straight gold medals from '64 through '76. And between 1970 and 1980 they won 7 world championships.