The Olympics

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kwan still deserved to go, which was the substance of the argument.

Obviously not. She was still hampered by her original injury and had a horrible week of practice so was forced to bow out. To me, that proved that she wasn't deserving.

At this point, we are getting into opinion, but she didn't have 'a horrible week' of practice. She went to the opening ceremony, sat in the cold for a few hours, went into practice the next day, and tweaked something during her triple jumps during said practice. She bowed out that evening and Emily Hughes was contacted during the night.

You can fact check me on that one.

I go back to my original 'what if' that with so many falls and crashes during the ladies' free skate, Michelle might have been able to medal. However, we'll never know.

Edit: Peter Ueberroth, the head of the US Olympic Committee, during the press conference of her dropping out, "Michelle Kwan means more to the United States Olympic Committee and to the United States than any athlete that has ever performed at the Olympics." (NYT)

Edit: Peter Ueberroth, the head of the US Olympic Committee, during the press conference of her dropping out, "Michelle Kwan means more to the United States Olympic Committee and to the United States than any athlete that has ever performed at the Olympics." (NYT)

Take that, Jesse Owens!

Take that, Jesse Owens!

This seems like the kind of inflated statement that characterized some of Mr. Ueberroth's short lived political campaigns. The man did a great job in setting up LA for the 1984 Summer Olympics, but he's not the last word on things Olympic.

Take that, Jesse Owens!

Yeah right. And Mark Spitz and Peggy Fleming and May Lou Retten and Dorothy Hamill and Bruce Jenner and Greg Louganis and .........

Take that, Jesse Owens!

This seems like the kind of inflated statement that characterized some of Mr. Ueberroth's short lived political campaigns. The man did a great job in setting up LA for the 1984 Summer Olympics, but he's not the last word on things Olympic.

Let your post be the last word on matters Olympic, Hollywood. Exhibition games and the World Baseball Classic commence this coming weekend. So goodbye, winter games. Let Torino return to being Turin and let us remember Red Smith's classic admonition: "Baseball, gentlemen. Baseball."

Kwan still deserved to go, which was the substance of the argument.

Obviously not. She was still hampered by her original injury and had a horrible week of practice so was forced to bow out. To me, that proved that she wasn't deserving.

At this point, we are getting into opinion, but she didn't have 'a horrible week' of practice. She went to the opening ceremony, sat in the cold for a few hours, went into practice the next day, and tweaked something during her triple jumps during said practice. She bowed out that evening and Emily Hughes was contacted during the night.

You can fact check me on that one.

I go back to my original 'what if' that with so many falls and crashes during the ladies' free skate, Michelle might have been able to medal. However, we'll never know.

If you really believe that Kwan injured herself anew in Torino, I have a bridge to sell you. The girl has a groin injury. Those things are nasty and take forever to heal. Hockey fans will remember Mike Richter (retired Rangers goalie) missing about half a season one year due to a groin pull.

Seriously, while all mentioned are great athletes; I'd say that because of the current climate during his competition, Jesse Owen should be considered the most important American Olympic competitor.

Hard to argue although I suppose people might bring up Mark Spitz and Jim Thorpe.

Take that, Jesse Owens!

Yeah right. And Mark Spitz and Peggy Fleming and May Lou Retten and Dorothy Hamill and Bruce Jenner and Greg Louganis and .........

...and Eric Heiden.

And not Chad Hedcase.