The Olympics

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The highlight for me is always the parade of nations when all the athletes file in.

Call me a sap, I really liked that bit of the ceremony, too. The commentary was so ridiculous, though. Without getting into the politics, it was so crass.

Yeah, I thought Brian Williams especially was pretty unnecessary. He kept trying to inject world news and politics into the commentary. Geez, don't you think we hear enough about that the rest of the day? I would have liked to hear more about the athletes and their individual stories or even the role of sports in each country. I don't want to hear about Iran's crazy leader when the athletes are walking out. :unsure:

Currently watching Nordic Combined which is a two part event: a distance ski jump and a cross country ski race. I'm exhausted just watching these guys shoosh themselves across the course -- what amazing athletes! :unsure:

Edit: Incredible exciting finish. A photo finish for the Bronze medal!!! in cross country skiing!! :blush:

Great starting race to watch.

my grandma was going on and on about how fabulous the opening ceremony was and she's just not sure if ours will be better than Italy. I just caught a few minustes of it, and it was just plain weird. i find most of the opening ceremonies tend to get too esoteric. mind you, i will do everything in my power to get a seat at the opening of 2010.

I have been an avid Olympics-watcher ever since the games were first televised. This year, for some reason, I'm not as enthusiastic as I've been in the past. I don't like the every two years business, which make the games less of a special event. I think it's gotten too big, too blown-up, and too contrived.

I have been an avid Olympics-watcher ever since the games were first televised.  This year, for some reason, I'm not as enthusiastic as I've been in the past.  I don't like the every two years business, which make the games less of a special event.  I think it's gotten too big, too blown-up, and too contrived.

You have to get past the hype, which seems to get worse every Olympics. All the publicity goes to people like Bode Miller and Michelle Kwan, but when you get past that there are so many athletes and sports that deserve attention.

I am watching the men's cross country skiing right now. There was a collision at the very start of the race taking out the defending gold medal winner, Frode Estil. He not only fell, but someone fell on top of him and his ski clips had to be replaced by the coaches.

Not only did he decide to continue the race but his two Norwegian compatriots went to the head of the pack and slowed down their pace. He (Estil) was able to go from last place, way last place, past 70 other competitors to 4th place. (He eventually goes on to win the silver medal!) These stories are why I watch: Not the hyped names who fail to deliver, but stories of sportsmanship and fortitude. It's incredibly thrilling to watch.

That is great.

I watched a bit last night because I love figure skating.

OK, now you can all pile on.

First, don't let anyone give you crap about watching the Olympics. I am an Olympics whore and proud of it! :blush: :unsure:

Did you see the Chinese pair during last night's figure skating? That was amazing. I couldn't believe she got up after being thrown and landing on her knees! She looked like she was in agony. I thought she was crazy to try and finish. But they did, they did a tremendous job and came in second. It was pretty damn amazing to watch.