I have a similiar one, and I use it for buffets. I raise the dome up off a large cheese board. . I put whole pieces of the selected cheeses, some nuts or fruit, etc, under the dome. Underneath, on the board, are the serving cheeses, with cheese knives, or in cheunked or sliced into bite sizes, pl;us more fruit, perhaps fig jam or a chutney.

I think cheese platters get so dull, but then again perhaps my guests are dull..because the cheese always gets eaten...I don however, make a real effort to add interesting and less popular cheses to the mix...but one still needs to have a few boring cheeses for the less adventurous.

And yes, I have those little stick label thingys that go in the cheese in the dome, with the name of each cheese.

You know when you are looking at an item in the housewares department, and you think " who would buy that?" Well, my friends and family would, and they give it to me. They know I entertain a lot, I have a lot of storage space, and I do, mostly, make an effort to us it when I can. Wine charms, cheese knives, cake dishes, table runners...yes sir, there they are, in my cupboards. Wine caddies, little vokda shooters, holiday themed shot glassess..yes sir, snuggled on the top shelfs of the cabinets. This years favorite: cookbook holders, sturdy enough to hold perhaps a newspaper clipping...Shoot me, please.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, God. Exposed. Naked. :unsure: I collect them. Not the little ones or new ones, but the big, old ones like you seen 10 pound wheels on in country stores, or in bistrots and tearooms in France. I am addicted to them. There are at least 8 in the dining room. Sitting on marble plates. I also collect antique marble plates. I have to. Domes look silly sitting on nothing. My husband has cut off my cheese dome allowance. No more room for either plates or domes.

I walk into my dining room and pretend I'm not home but in a country store or in France. We are each wierd in our own way, no? Oh. Just me...

(In truth, I do use the large ones to cover cheese plateaus and for tartes, etc. when we entertain.)

Oh, God. Exposed. Naked. :unsure: I collect them. Not the little ones or new ones, but the big, old ones like you seen 10 pound wheels on in country stores, or in bistrots and tearooms in France. I am addicted to them. There are at least 8 in the dining room. Sitting on marble plates.

Photos, please!

I love them and have a few inexpensive ones that I use but there's one in the family I adore. It's George Jones majolica from the late 1800's.

Look here for a selection of beauties.

PS: Buy one slab of utter perfection and keep it on the counter under the dome for a day or so. You'll see what that cheese dome is good for.

You use it to keep the flies off the cheese as it sits at room temp prior to serving... Unless, of course, you're in Corsica.

You use it to keep the flies off the cheese as it sits at room temp prior to serving... Unless, of course, you're in Corsica.

No, no. Bring your cheese home and store it under a dome, period. Do not refrigerate unless you can't finish the cheese in a few days. It's magical I tell you, magical.