If i take food to the table at the bistro, and i don't know who ordered what, more often than not i can guess by gender

This explains why I often get my husband's Coke and he gets my wine. :blush:

A client once took me to lunch at the Peugeot cafeteria in Paris. When it was time for cheese, the waiter told my host (in French) that he had a lovely ripe Munster, but wouldn't dare serve it to "l'Américaine." I told him I loved a good stinky Munster, and he laughed and brought it.

I asked the host whether the waiter's reluctance was due to my gender or my nationality. "Both!" he said.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I've just remembered ordering horse in a Sardinian restaurant in Venice. The waiter gave me such a good talking to, do you really know what you are ordering, you silly woman? When he walked away from the table after I'd confirmed my order, I had tears in my eyes.

"I started with a very generous helping of scallops (with coral) with greens in an extremely well balanced vinaigrette and little strips of bacon on top. I can’t read my own handwriting, but G had a chorizo dish, and I hardly got a look in.

I think others on the board have said that Basildog has a deft hand with fish, and I concur. My skate with mouth-watering anchovies studded on top & and with a parsley-butter sauce was done just right, taken off the flame just before it becomes meaty and heavy. G’s lamb chops and new potatoes were stellar, he said.

Pretty full by this time, but had to have the sticky toffee pudd (a very large piece was presented, but it was so light—we fully appreciate why it wins so much applause--we had no trouble finishing it) and, hey, while we’re at it, one more: the ice cream with clotted cream and some regular cream thrown in if I’m not mistaken and chocolate covered coffee beans and a brandy snap"

See, your not an average guest YJ :blush:

We tend to leave it to our guests to make their preferences known to us, eg i have one regular who loves scallops, but not the corals,so we take them off automatically.The lamb is offered pink,"unless you would like it different"

and another thing, if a guests has particular requirments, low fat, low sugar, gluten free etc etc i would say a good 75% of them are women.

Morning!

I was half afraid I would get flamed for the vast generalizations, glad I wasn't. I thought this would be a good forum to discuss this, because I'm sure none of the women on this board (foodies) fit the "pattern".

I'm not surprised at Basildog's observation about the differences in ordering food also- I've often confused the runners by being the one who gets the steak or super spicy dish while the husband got the salady thing, and B'dog's observation about the "special order", that rings true for me as well. I know the dietary habits of SOOOO many people, more than I ever wanted to know, trust me.

What's interesting to me is that most of Boulder seems to have some food allergy of some sort, and yes, it's 95% of the time women. The prevalence of cow's milk allergy is alarming here. Seeing as how it's relatively rare (estimate 2-5%) in the general population, but rampant here (I keep cards on the customers as to what they purchase, and info about preferences, allergies, and I'd say just under half of them say they are allergic to cow's milk)- must be something in the water :blush:

CM, how about hosting a ladies' night, with a tasting of your more risqué selections? :blush:

Hey, it beats Passion Parties.

This sounds like a great idea, Cheesemonger, but please stick to cheese. Educating your public has its limits. For instance, you must not under any circumstances try to expose your customers to opera!

Men do often use cash... half of my formula for choosing a checkout line at the market. That anecdotal male customer of my dreams will have but a few items, too. The other half of my formula is a female checker.

In re cheese-adventuring men, nearly invisible to me outside my own home and food chat websites: I am utterly and completely gobsmacked to learn they are in Boulder, CO.