Sign in to follow this  
rancho_gordo

Mexican Cooking Project #1

They're excellent with carne asada, with roast chicken, with pork. I often prepare carne de puerco con chile verde (pork stewed in green chile) to be served with Mexican rice, well-fried beans with queso cotija, and these rajas.

We've had too much meat in the past week or so; I'm going to make these to accompany some fish.

I often make roasted bell peppers using the same technique, then packing them in olive oil and garlic. I keep them in the refrigerator. But I digress.

Oops, yes, I prepare them to serve with fish as well! Thanks for the reminder--my mind is more on breakfast at the moment than on dinner. :lol:

I'll be using the Bayless' recipe from the "Mexican Kitchen" book.

Very similar to cristina's but with a pinch of oregano and thyme.

Creme Fraiche instead of crema.

And yes, serving with a whole roasted red snapper.

What exactly is crema?

Would New Yorkers like to suggest resources for crema and fresh chiles? Will any good bodega on 9th or 10th have them?

Robert, this site explains :HERE

According to the

Special Cheese website:

Crema Mexicana

The most popular Hispanic cream. This product is thick, rich, fresh cream. It has the thickness of Devonshire Cream or Creme Fraiche and has the sweet taste of heavy whipping cream. It is used as a dessert topping either directly out of the package or whipped. In fact, many chefs specify our Crema Mexicana for their whipped toppings because it will hold its whip for four days, not the four hours one can expect from whipping common heavy cream. Crema Mexicana is also used as an ingredient to thicken sauces and to give entrees a thicker, richer taste. For a delicious addition to your pasta sauces try mixing one part Crema Mexicana to three parts pasta sauce. You'll love the result. Especially with tomato based pasta sauces: creamier and richer than any pasta sauce you've tried before!

In US supermarkets, it's usually sold in a glass jar, often displayed next to the Mexican cheeses. Some of the best-known Mexican cheese brands also manufacture crema.

You can use creme fraiche instead, much better. (ducking to avoid multi culti wrath)

In Manhattan, Ampelman recommended a Mexican grocerycalled La Loma del Tepeyac (1621 Lexington @ 102nd St., tel. 212-987-8364). He said they carry all sorts of Mexican vegetables including fresh nopales and epazote, mole poblano, quesos mexicanos, etc.

I've been planning to check it out...

You can use creme fraiche instead, much better. (ducking to avoid multi culti wrath)

What about it, Mexican experts? Is it much better? Is it even an acceptable substitute or does it fall into the do-this-if-you can't-find-the-real-thing category?

They carry Mexican crema in most of the grocery stores near me - Gristede's, CTown, Food Emporium...I just don't like it. Robert, maybe you could buy a jar and taste it plain and see what you think before committing it to a whole dish... ?

Does Crema taste different from creme fraiche? Closer to sour cream?

I got my poblanos today - 4 weighting about a pound. Very nicely shaped not too many crevices.