Mexican Cooking Project #2

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, as I said in my opening post, I've always wanted to try cochinita pibil, and those exquisite pickled red onions, and some fried platanos.   I've got quite a few recipes, but don't know if I'm

if they give any flavour at all it's minimal. i think balic made this point months ago. they do give the pork a wonderful color though.

Thanks. What I'm hearing is, use whatever's available and treat it accordingly.

I thought that if I got an 8 lb piece of meat, I'd have enough left over to last a couple of meals. Not so, I think I have a taco's worth. :rolleyes:

Oh and by the way the Rodriguez recipe I was referring to is from Robert of Once Upon A Time In Mexico. The Rodriguez that fantasty is referring to is Douglas of Patria fame. Great cookbook.

• 8 months later...
Has any else used the Goya Bitter Orange juice? I tried some a few months ago in a shrimp recipe using achiote paste diluted in bitter (Seville) orange juice. I didn't particularly care for the Goya product, too bitter with a very processed/chemical taste to it. Has anyone else used this product? If so, what was your reaction to it, and what kind of a dish did you use it for.

Man, I wish I had remembered reading this. I bought a bottle of this yesterday and hauled it all the way home from Seattle.

The ingredients list implies that it's sweet-orange juice with bitter-orange oils and extracts, which didn't sound promising. But my stash of bergamot juice is almost gone, and I was looking for something a little bit easier to source.

Oh well.

Has any else used the Goya Bitter Orange juice?  I tried some a few months ago in a shrimp recipe using achiote paste diluted in bitter (Seville) orange juice.  I didn't particularly care for the Goya product, too bitter with a very processed/chemical taste to it.  Has anyone else used this product?  If so, what was your reaction to it, and what kind of a dish did you use it for.

Man, I wish I had remembered reading this. I bought a bottle of this yesterday and hauled it all the way home from Seattle.

The ingredients list implies that it's sweet-orange juice with bitter-orange oils and extracts, which didn't sound promising. But my stash of bergamot juice is almost gone, and I was looking for something a little bit easier to source.

Oh well.

I used it to make sangritas a few weeks ago. Didn't like it at all. I agree that it has a very harsh chemical, baby-aspirin-y flavor. Had to pitch the whole batch and make a new one with the old reliable orange/lime combination.

• 3 weeks later...
Have you used Goya's Mojo Criollo? (Sorry if someone has already posted about this.....)

I use the Mojo occasionally as a marinade for pork or poultry, I haven't used it for ceviche. I like to marinate a whole chicken overnight before putting it on the rotisserie.

I made a new recipe day before yesterday, which I posted on my Recipe Exchange site, and I call it Achiote/Citrus Chicken. It has some of the same ingredients as Cochinita Pibil, but I use chicken or turkey instead of pork. After it was done, we first had tacos with some of the meat, and then I made enchiladas yesterday, which my brother thought were too intense. I made some Spanish rice, which he also thought was too intense - I used 3/4 cup of rice + 1 can RoTel tomatoes plus 1/2 can water and a bit of vegetable soup base in place of salt and a teaspoon of olive oil. Next time I will use a cup of rice and a full can of water.

I bought some Mexican Manchego cheese today to put on the enchiladas to make them a bit milder. We'll probably have them tomorrow instead of tonight so that DB will have a chance for his stomach to settle. I think he comes home a bit stressed from work. I thought I was helping by having dinner prepared for him, but I guess I'll have to tone it down. I have quite a bit of spicy leftover broth that I will use as a marinade for some turkey thighs I bought today. I think I'll combine the turkey and broth and freeze them together for later use.

I didn't use banana leaves because I don't have a banana tree. I had one, but it took too much water. I do have a Giant Bird of Paradise which has similar looking leaves, but I don't think they are related, and I don't know if GBP is edible! A lot of people confuse them for banana trees, and they don't even make any fruit.

Tana, I have the Mexico the Beautiful cookbook and found the recipe you mentioned. I'll try to make that after I find some Poblano chilies, which should not be difficult here (L.A.). Did you see my brother's webpage from our trip to Mexico last March? I think I posted that link before, but I can't find it here. We're going to Austin in a couple of weeks but won't get further south than that this time. I want to go back to Oaxaca or Yucatan the next time I go back to Mexico City.

I didn't use banana leaves because I don't have a banana tree.  I had one, but it took too much water. 

Well, I don't have a banana tree here in Springfield, Missouri, either, but even here they sell them (and quite cheaply) frozen at the Mexican grocers.

And let me say that I, too, am pleased you post here. As Tana says, your posts are always interesting!

:D

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to making cochinita pibil which I'd intended doing since sampling Daisy's stellar version.

Damn fine.

But, a question. Does the banana leaf add any flavour, or would parchment paper work just as well?