• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very good $48 prix fixe lunch at Le Bernardin. We had ordered the 24 hour advance notice red snapper (for two people). It is cooked in a salt and breadcrumb crust; presented dramatically, tableside,

If I remember corectly: milk chocolate crème brûlée on the bottom, maple caramel on top finished with caramel foam and maldon salt

I guess I'd lend mine to Champale. After all it is the champagne of ales*.       *Ales in this case referring to malt liquor of course.

...that feeling when you accidentally address a twenty-something French girl as 'madame', and she looks you in the eyes and laughingly, and a little haughtily, responds, 'monsieur' :blush:

See, Le Bernardin can get away with addressing people as "Monsieur" if they want because they're a French restaurant owned by French people with a French chef that started in Paris and then moved to New York.

What we were objecting is being addressed as "Monsieur" in a restaurant owned by a Chinese luxury group started in New York with an American chef. In that case, the use of French is a pretentious affectation. Especially when the restaurant drips "pretentious affectation" anyway.

And we're not even gonna talk about Christina Turley (who Anne Hataway WISHES she could look like).

I once speculated about the path not taken, if I'd gone into the restaurant or wine industry, but the photo of Miss Turley reminded me I was never going to be one of the cool kid somms for quite obvious reasons.

I used to read Miss Turley's tweets, and unsurprisingly her lifestyle seemed very similar to young socialites / models'.

• Like 1

See, Le Bernardin can get away with addressing people as "Monsieur" if they want because they're a French restaurant owned by French people with a French chef that started in Paris and then moved to New York.

What we were objecting is being addressed as "Monsieur" in a restaurant owned by a Chinese luxury group started in New York with an American chef. In that case, the use of French is a pretentious affectation. Especially when the restaurant drips "pretentious affectation" anyway.

Agreed. For what it is worth, I have absolutely no recollection of how I was greeted/addressed while at Le Bernardin.

• Like 1

How about at Gabriel Kreuther, the Clocktower, and Cherche Midi?

And even though the server at Chevalier was actually French?