I know without looking that the first post on this thread is by me, and I think it's the first post (maybe tests aside) on Mouthfuls. And well done Le B. for doing it what it does for so long.

I would think and hope that a lunch there would be very nice. It does suffer my international comparisons, but few are realistically making the choice about which country to have lunch in. (This post dedicated to Cabby.)

Exactly. Miles ahead of the best fish restaurant in Kharkov!

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very good $48 prix fixe lunch at Le Bernardin. We had ordered the 24 hour advance notice red snapper (for two people). It is cooked in a salt and breadcrumb crust; presented dramatically, tableside,

If I remember corectly: milk chocolate crème brûlée on the bottom, maple caramel on top finished with caramel foam and maldon salt

I guess I'd lend mine to Champale. After all it is the champagne of ales*.       *Ales in this case referring to malt liquor of course.

Le Bernardin has just been named the number 1 restaurant in the US, and number 2 in the world by La Liste. Number 1 globally is Guy Savoy in Paris. Below is the article.

They’re breaking out the Dom Pérignon (again) at Le Bernardin.

The French seafood temple has been named the No. 1 restaurant in the US and No. 2 in the world by La Liste — a French roster of 1,000 eateries that awards “meta-rankings” synthesized from reviews in print and online. (Its 400 sources include everything from the Michelin Guides to Yelp).

“I’m so proud of our team and can’t wait to share the news with them,” surprised chef/co-owner Éric Ripert told us (We snared an advance copy of La Liste).

Ripert and partner Maguy Le Coze share the No. 2 world honor with Kyo Aji, a tiny eatery in Tokyo. No. 1 globally is Guy Savoy in Paris.

How can a restaurant specializing in fish that is in a place that is fish-deprived relative to countries surrounded by seas and offers a junk fish (escolar) banned in Italy and Japan be voted the best fish restaurant there is? Better than serious restaurants getting fish off the Tuscan coast, the Adriatic/Venice lagoon and the inland seas of Japan? These lists are a joke and are meaningless to anyone the least bit gourmand.

How can a restaurant specializing in fish that is in a place that is fish-deprived relative to countries surrounded by seas and offers a junk fish (escolar) banned in Italy and Japan be voted the best fish restaurant there is? Better than serious restaurants getting fish off the Tuscan coast, the Adriatic/Venice lagoon and the inland seas of Japan? These lists are a joke and are meaningless to anyone the least bit gourmand.

It's funny, but I always thought we were pretty close to the sea, the sound, the bays, the rivers...

Sadly, New York waterways mostly don't stock safely edible fish any more thanks to chemical contamination.

ETA: But Pasternack would surely say he can source fish locally. Some, anyway.

Montauk isn't that far away.....

I don't know exactly what a "NY waterway" means, but fish caught in the Atlantic are certainly fine for consumption. As are

legally harvested clams, oysters, scallops, etc.

This is what I'd avoid...

2014_10_07%2BE%2BBroadway%2Bfish%2B1.JPG

The stuff sold out of a bucket, or on top of some newspaper, on East Broadway, Division or Grand Streets.