• 5 months later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roast Corn and Pork Soup -

Martinez in her Oaxacan book suggests to dry-roast dried corn in hot oven until rich sunflower yellow and then pulse in food processor to break up kernels to the size of barley, soak for an hour and use for pork soup (cooking time 40mins for corn) -

The idea sounds very interesting - i wonder will it work with FG pozole - main concern being a breaking power of my KitchenAid processor :blink:

so i went ahead and made some roasted corn stew for lunch today: i succeeded to brown the first bath of pozole beyond the mandated sunflower color, the second one was a bit better but the color still went from off white to light brown; in both cases the aroma of roasted corn was intoxicating!

breaking down kernels was not a problem at all although a lot of chaff was created (and was sifted out);

cut up couple of cooking chorizo sausages, crushed some garlic, and added this to a chicken stock along with a lot of ancho powder and a bay leave;

the result was quite tasty, a bit like wheat berries, chewy in a nice way, but the aroma of toasted corn dissipated :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had the presence of mind last night to start a bag of RG posole soaking for use today, in my first ever go at posole. I consulted a number of recipes, including several online, the one on the postcard that accompanied my order from RG, the latest issue of Saveur, and Bayless's One Plate at a Time.

While the hominy cooked, I tossed a 5-lb. piece of pork shoulder (BI) into a pot with a quart of chicken broth and enough water to nearly cover the joint, then added a couple of bayleaves, a small handful of Mexican oregano, a few crushed garlic cloves and half a large white onion, hacked into pieces, and some salt.

I took 2 each of dried Pasilla, Ancho, Guajillo, and New Mexico chiles, stemmed and seeded them and toasted them in a skillet, then soaked them for half an hour in hot water. Then I puréed them and strained out the skins.

When the pork was cooked through, I removed it to a plate to cool, and let the fat rise to the surface of the stock, then skimmed it. I shredded the pork and added it to the cooked hominy (undrained) along with the skimmed stock and the chile purée and some more white onion and garlic, finely diced.

Served with wedges of lime, chopped onion and avocado, and fresh cilantro leaves.

Lordy, that stuff's delicious. No wonder people take the time to make it.

It's so easy to find our various "cooking project" threads since they are all pinned to the top.

Does anyone, save me, think it might be good to add this one, and the one on guisados? I think they will both be ongoing, and it's so nice to be able to find the threads quickly.

It's so easy to find our various "cooking project" threads since they are all pinned to the top.

Does anyone, save me, think it might be good to add this one, and the one on guisados? I think they will both be ongoing, and it's so nice to be able to find the threads quickly.

I would vote “yes” on both.

I would vote “yes” on both.

Me too.

the only problem is that after pinning these two threads almost no place would be left on Mexican board for Forum Topics - unless you suggest to unpin some other projects threads.

Maybe the person who pins could combine some of the old projects into 'Mexican Cooking Projects 1-5', etc. I agree, the current list of projects, while important, is taking up a lot of space over there.

I think I need to repeat something from another thread.

I'm sure there are exceptions somewhere but in Mexico, Pozole (with a "z") normally refers to the dish, not the corn. There are countless variations.

In the Southwest and among Native Americans, posole (with an "S") refers to both the dish and the hominy.

I have referred to hominy as pozole and was corrected many times.

What I sell is "prepared hominy". It is dried and the skins have been removed already. You need to soak and simmer. It explodes very well without pinching off the germ. The kernels are smaller than what is used in Mexico and in general I think it's actually better.

Canned hominy is ok I guess but there's a gumminess and rubber texture that I think warrants making the real thing.

You can puree the hominy after you've cooked it and it becomes grits. Ground cornmeal (with the skin) is mush, or polenta.

I'd been hankering for pozole for some weeks, but I wasn't too keen on getting one of the bowls of thick, red corn pozole sold in the Pátzcuaro mercado. Good luck came yesterday.

Last night we were invited to a pozole supper at our friends' house, in the heights above Pátzcuaro. Sra. Betty makes Pozole estilo Jalisco, which she pointed out to us is distinguished from the local, Michoacán pozole in thet the latter is "batido" and thickened, while the Jalisco style is not. Anyway, she's an excellent cook, and after openers of "Cabrito Brand" Tequila (cheap but tasty), we sat down to beautiful bowls of steaming pork pozole. It is red with mild chiles, probably strained guajillos. I forgot to ask.

For accompaniments, we had crisp, finely shredded cabage, orégano, minced onion, and long, hot red dried chiles fried in oil. No radishes. Good company.

Dessert was a lattice top butter crusted apple pie.

67748254.jpg

Thanks to my first order from Rancho Gordo, I am now making posole for the first time. Well, the first time not from a can, that is.

The kernels soaked about 18 hours, and they are 2 hours into their simmer right now. The thing that just blows me out out of the water is that fresh corn aroma. Wow, it smells so good, I can't wait to taste it.

Like a dope, I steam-burned my forearm pretty bad. What an idiot. I'm icing it, but it still hurts pretty bad, G-D it. :D

Being my first time out, I do have a couple of questions, and am hoping one of you experts can guide me.

1. In RGs recipe, he doesn't specify any salt in the cooking water. Any particular reason? Is it like beans with many believing that early salt makes them tough?

2. Bayless says that in order for the kernels to bloom, many folks take off the little brown tip before cooking. I tested these and the tip comes of with very little pressure. I'd think they would pop just fine. Could Bayless be talking about those great big kernels? These are pretty small--bigger than corn, but smaller than canned hominy.

Any clarifications for my confused mind, or ideas for my burned arm, would be much appreciated. Thanks.

eited to say, that oops, just saw upthread that RG sez his hominy-posole doesn't require pinching.

• 2 years later...

The temps have finally dipped below 60 and I'm going to make pozole on Friday. Having a couple of friends over, so it'll be worth making. I have a bag of RG's posole from our trip to Napa. Going to buy a pork roast and slow cook it whole in the crockpot on Thursday. The meat guy at Central Market told me not to chunk it up before cooking: he maintains that cooking it whole allows for tasty shredding later. I tried this once and he was right.

I'm mulling over the combination of dried chiles that I should try this time. Mostly ancho? A chipotle or two? Guajillo?