I started with Canidae but thought it was too boring - although its supposed to be good.

Next, Iams and Prince (my dog) seems to like it ok especially when I add wet Iams food to it.

Now, Im reading really bad things about Iams so am switching to Flint River Dog food which is actually rated ok for human consumtion - not that I will try it or anything.

What about you and your mutt?

For larger breed dogs, Eukanuba is a great choice for kibble, and Science diet for wet food. How quickly they grow becomes an issue, especially to minimize any hip problems down the road, so bone density is important and using puppy food/ large breed food etc int he right combo can help density.

Scienc diet also produces the most dense poops, easier to pick up.

Nutro Ultra for the dawg, Natural Balance for the kitties. If the hardware store happens to be out of what I need, I'll substitute Wellness or Eagle Pack. No wet food for any of them, and limited treats. The dawg gets special rawhide chews or Greenies to keep her teeth clean. I don't believe in having animals' teeth cleaned, since it requires anaesthesia – that's awfully extreme just to clean their damned teeth.

When the dawg was younger, she had a fondness for red wine and for coffee with milk or cream. You couldn't leave either on the coffee table, or she'd help herself. It perplexed me no end the first time I left a bowl of cafe au lait on the table and came back to find it empty and licked clean.

Nutro Ultra for the dawg,

Simon usually gets the Nutro Utra, although we blend it 50/50 with the senior formula. He'll periodically get tired of that, so we'll blend in Purina One or Radiance for a week or two.

The Golden is 10, so we'll prob switch over to 100% senior formula this year.

i use prairie, it's a dog food that has bits of freeze dried chocken in it and is offered in dry, wet, frozen raw and complete freeze dried (for travel)......their idea is that you can mix it all up so that a doggie doesn't get bored. my dog loves cottage cheese so i often use the dry food and mix in some cottage cheese for a treat. or a little bit of wet food. wellness is a nice food but it's a high fiber food - worked well for my last dog but definitely not this one. there are some really good fodds out there now and they're not pricier than most other foods - tho maybe more than supermarket brands. but sites like petedge.com and sitstay.com have good prices if you can't find it locally. solid gold, calif natural, merrick.....etc etc

When the dawg was younger, she had a fondness for red wine and for coffee with milk or cream. You couldn't leave either on the coffee table, or she'd help herself. It perplexed me no end the first time I left a bowl of cafe au lait on the table and came back to find it empty and licked clean.

I thought dogs could die if they had chocolate or coffee and didn't do well with onions or garlic or, I think, tomatoes. No?

I thought dogs could die if they had chocolate or coffee and didn't do well with onions or garlic or, I think, tomatoes. No?

I thought the same about chocolate, though didn't hear until more recently about the onions. Have never heard anything about garlic (actually I thought that was good for them!) or coffee.

Our shih tzu, BeBop, ate onions and garlic like crazy and lived to be nearly 17.

our dog ate human food and lived to be 17 (in perfect health till her last month). a bowl of milk and bread for breakfast, rice and mutton cooked together for lunch, milk and chapatis for dinner. and whatever she could scrounge from us at the table.