NYC cheese: Murray's and beyond

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spotted some decent looking Vacherin de Jura on sale this morning at Zabar's, $6.98 for a one-pound round. Also whole 1lb-plus round of Pierre Robert for $10.98. Some very good deals in general to be had there, although ripeness is an issue.

Yesterday I went a little nuts in Murray's. A very, very ripe Vacherin fribourgeois was eaten last night and while I loved it it was on the funky side. Needed to be eaten right away. Also got some vacca rosso parmigiana, an awesome aged pecorino and Mons tomme de champagne (later in the week for this). With two Emmi yogurts, the tab was $53. :lol:

Yesterday I went a little nuts in Murray's. A very, very ripe Vacherin fribourgeois was eaten last night and while I loved it it was on the funky side. Needed to be eaten right away. Also got some vacca rosso parmigiana, an awesome aged pecorino and Mons tomme de champagne (later in the week for this). With two Emmi yogurts, the tab was $53. :lol:

By the way, they had containers of smallish chunks of the vacca rosso at the GCT branch last week. Good deal.

• 1 month later...

Delicious new cheese at Murrays--Dallenwiler Geisschase, a raw goat's milk from Switzerland. Just googled it to get the lowdown, but turned up information on Dallenwil Geishas instead.

Try google with just "Dallenwiler", or "Dallenwiler Geißkäse". Then click on Translate this page for info.

ie.

The Dallenwiler Geisskäse is a soft cheese from goat milk with external mould. It originates from Switzerland.

Taste

The Geisskäse possesses a characteristic goat milk taste.

Characteristics/fat content

It is manufactured as 800 gram heavy loaf with approx. 13 cm in the diameter. Its thin crust forms a weak white mould. The cream-white paste is from few, irregular break holes pulled through. There is it in from raw milk or pasteurisierter milk and in each case with lubricant and with surface mould.

Depending upon sort it has fat portion between 20 and 80 per cent.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In Murrays the other day to obtain a selection of cheeses that would convince a sceptical Brit that fine American cheeses do exist, I discovered one that was new to me and just wonderful. Pleasant Ridge Reserve, a semi-hard cows milk cheese. Mmmmm.

The others were pretty good, too: Bartlett Blue and Constant Bliss from Jasper Hill, a Blue Ledge Farms crottin (also a new one for me and just delicious), Sally Jackson sheeps milk cheese (but the Sally Jackson goat I tasted was rather bland), and but of course Hooligan.

I appreciate the service in Murrays. The guy helping me dissuaded me from a Lazy Lady goat cheese, saying the Blue Ledge cheese was in better condition and more ready to serve that day. He also put me on to that terrific Pleasant Ridge.

Pleasant Ridge Reserve, a semi-hard cows milk cheese. Mmmmm.

i was eyeing this cheese for quite a while but the price looked prohibitive for experimenting,

but after reading Daisy's recommendation i got it and agree that Pleasant Ridge is amazing

especially with Imperial IPA like 90 Minutes or Hercules - it was our dinner yesterday - heavenly.

Today i had it for breakfast, with a cup of strong unsweetened earl grey tea, again a perfect match.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a couple of old favorites the other day to share with guests--Tomme de Berger and Constant Bliss. Nothing too challenging, but both were delicious and tough to stop eating.

Decent salami also... something they get from some place in Brooklyn.

Fresh mozzarella, OTOH, wasn't so hot.