Cercle Rouge, Tribeca Tavern, Bubble Lounge

Eater has a piece about the State Liquor Authority's decision to yank the liquor licenses of two Tribeca establishments because they're too close to a house of worship. Montrachet, also located too close, apparently predates the foundation of the mosque.

Recently, the SLA notified three businesses on West Broadway that it is moving to revoke their liquor licenses. All four establishments are in the vicinity of Masjid al-Farah, a Sufi mosque in a nondescript two-story building at 245 West Broadway... The mosque is sandwiched between two licensed establishments: Cercle Rouge, which opened last year, and 10-year-old Tribeca Tavern. Bubble Lounge opened 11 years ago, 188 feet from the mosque, according to the SLA. All three received notices of revocation. (Montrachet restaurant, 68 feet from the mosque, is apparently exempt because it predates the mosque’s opening in 1990.)

Bye, Bye...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cercle Rouge? No great loss -- surely the staff can be clueless in many other places.

Bubble Lounge? Who cares? And who cares about No. Moore?

And re: Liquor Store (in the eater post): what I presume to have been the original in that location where I used to drink 10 years ago (aka "Rat Bar" for its nonhuman habitues), must have had a license, no? Why does the new incarnation not?

Cercle Rouge? No great loss -- surely the staff can be clueless in many other places.

Bubble Lounge? Who cares? And who cares about No. Moore?

And re: Liquor Store (in the eater post): what I presume to have been the original in that location where I used to drink 10 years ago (aka "Rat Bar" for its nonhuman habitues), must have had a license, no? Why does the new incarnation not?

No. Moore closed some time ago, Suzanne. Its new owners are converting both the buildings it occupied into a massive single-family home.

The Liquor Store bar, which I presume had a license that predated the mosque, also closed some time ago. The one that's been denied a license is a new bar in the same location. The bar had a "for sale" sign on it for quite a while, so there's probably new owners involved as well.

Here's a business model for you - open a bar and then immediately open a so called "house of worship" that covers the area around you, giving you immunity from competition.

;)

Here's a business model for you - open a bar and then immediately open a so called "house of worship" that covers the area around you, giving you immunity from competition.

;)

Given some of the things landlords have done, that wouldn't be an unusual technique to squeeze one's competitors...

I don't know the history of this ridiculous law, but it seems ripe for a constitutional challenge. Just think, if a house of worship opens near you and you are already serving alcohol, you stay. But you open too close to a house of worship that's already there, and you have to close. Denial of equal protection? Violation of establishment clause?

I don't know the history of this ridiculous law, but it seems ripe for a constitutional challenge. Just think, if a house of worship opens near you and you are already serving alcohol, you stay. But you open too close to a house of worship that's already there, and you have to close. Denial of equal protection? Violation of establishment clause?

There was litigation on this topic wrt Schiller's Liquor Bar two years ago, but NY has a pretty consistent history of favoring its own rules on alcohol over any other regs including the feds.

One Schiller issue was the precise definition of the 200 foot reach to a school. Was it to the nearest corner of the to-be-licensed property, or to the front door, 20 feet from that point? Front door won that round, and the license was issued, ahead of the moratorium.

NJ just narrowed the scope of a similar law, that of the Drug Free School Zone. Distributing or possessing drugs within a thousand feet of a school adds a mandatory minimum year in jail to any other sentences. The appellate court threw out a DFSZ conviction for a 2 am bust....

I don't know the history of this ridiculous law, but it seems ripe for a constitutional challenge.  Just think, if a house of worship opens near you and you are already serving alcohol, you stay.  But you open too close to a house of worship that's already there, and you have to close.  Denial of equal protection?  Violation of establishment clause?

There was litigation on this topic wrt Schiller's Liquor Bar two years ago, but NY has a pretty consistent history of favoring its own rules on alcohol over any other regs including the feds.

One Schiller issue was the precise definition of the 200 foot reach to a school. Was it to the nearest corner of the to-be-licensed property, or to the front door, 20 feet from that point? Front door won that round, and the license was issued, ahead of the moratorium.

NJ just narrowed the scope of a similar law, that of the Drug Free School Zone. Distributing or possessing drugs within a thousand feet of a school adds a mandatory minimum year in jail to any other sentences. The appellate court threw out a DFSZ conviction for a 2 am bust....

Thank you very much indeed for the news of that Appellate Division case, Paul. Do you have the cite, caption, anything? I might be able to use it in one of my cases.

I don't know the history of this ridiculous law, but it seems ripe for a constitutional challenge.  Just think, if a house of worship opens near you and you are already serving alcohol, you stay.  But you open too close to a house of worship that's already there, and you have to close.  Denial of equal protection?  Violation of establishment clause?

Thank you very much indeed for the news of that Appellate Division case, Paul. Do you have the cite, caption, anything? I might be able to use it in one of my cases.

I believe the Star-Ledger had an article about it within the past few weeks, I'll see what I can find.

The take-away was the law was more like those special speed limits in school zones when children are present than a 24/7 all times directive.

I will miss Bubble Lounge enormously. I could really type some very, very bad words to express my feelings about this kind of shit (yes, I know worse words than that).

I see Trader Joe's on 14th is trying it on with a wine store (separate entrance presumably). Good luck.

Eater has a piece about the State Liquor Authority's decision to yank the liquor licenses of two Tribeca establishments because they're too close to a house of worship. Montrachet, also located too close, apparently predates the foundation of the mosque.

Recently, the SLA notified three businesses on West Broadway that it is moving to revoke their liquor licenses. All four establishments are in the vicinity of Masjid al-Farah, a Sufi mosque in a nondescript two-story building at 245 West Broadway... The mosque is sandwiched between two licensed establishments: Cercle Rouge, which opened last year, and 10-year-old Tribeca Tavern. Bubble Lounge opened 11 years ago, 188 feet from the mosque, according to the SLA. All three received notices of revocation. (Montrachet restaurant, 68 feet from the mosque, is apparently exempt because it predates the mosque’s opening in 1990.)

Bye, Bye...

But hold on a second...why did the SLA give those places their licenses in the first place if the mosque already existed when those places went in? Or am I not getting it?