Who's been? What did you eat? What do you think?

I've been, though it's been a couple of yrs. Quail egg and sea urchin I remember fondly. Plenty of sushi, of course. And a deep fried twinkie. ;) Sorry I can't be of more help. I recall the room creeped me out a bit, though I'd happily return.

I've been twice. It was last summer, while I was in Austin. The first time, I went with friends that seemed familiar with the place. They asked for their special waiter that they always get. I can't remember, really, if my friends ordered anything on their own or if they just let the waiter make the choices. Everything was absolutely delicious, although I'm not one for taking notes or really remembering exact dishes, especially when it's a bunch of small things with exotic names.

The second time was only about two weeks later. I told my daughter and SIL that I wanted to take them out for their anniversary and asked where they wanted to go. They said Uchi. So off we went. I asked for the same waiter by name. He remembered me, and I said that we wanted all the same things that he had recommended for my earlier visit.

The only dish I really remember was the beef on a rock. I've had this elsewhere, but it seemed particularly good. For those unfamiliar with it, they bring out this steaming hot, smooth rock laid on a bed of gravel, on a small square plate of some sort. Then you have some beef, and it may be Kobe or Wagyu, which is sliced into paper thin sheets. You lay these thin pieces on the rock and it cooks it. There were dipping sauces as well.

Everything we had was utterly terrific and we ordered seconds and sometimes thirds.

I do recommend the restaurant and wish I could remember more. If it's really important to know exactly which dishes, I might be able to chat up my dining companions and see if anyone can recall.

I have had a similar shot but it was served in a hollowed out lemon and as you did the shot, you were supposed to squeeze the lemon lightly. I did a lot of those.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Tyson Cole is on Iron Chef tonight. He should win this.

The Alamo Drafthouse south is holding a free viewing party tonight, with Cole in attendance.

• 3 weeks later...

For someone visiting from Seattle, is this worth the splurge or should I just stick to beer & brisket? As you probably know, we can't get really good bbq here, but I've got my pick of sushi/seafood/Japanese. I am intrigued by the fusion aspect. Most everyone plays it pretty straightforward here. I'm just figuring that I'll need to mix it up during the 8 days I'll be down there. As much as I love smoked meat, top shelf fish dishes appeal, too!

• 3 years later...
We started with 16 chefs in our Innovators bracket, carefully chosen, agonized over, and debated. The list was quickly narrowed, week after week, until it came down to the final two: Sameh Wadi of Minneapolis's Saffron and Tyson Cole of Austin's Uchi and Uchiko. And it was a very tight race right up until the end, when Cole took the lead, and won!

Most innovative chef in America

This is well deserved. Tyson Cole is a hands on chef owner. (I was at his slightly more downscale restaurant - Uchiko - a few weeks ago, and he was there, in and out of the kitchen.) He's quiet and unassuming and all about his food.