What are you watching?

hollywood10

I'm sure I've said this before, but in the early '80s I saw this play called A Soldier's Play.

It had one of those classic great ensemble casts.  But even so, two actors, then unknown to me, stood out.  One was named Denzel Washington.  The other was named Samuel Jackson.

I remember hoping I'd be able to see each of them acting again.

Little did I realize.

21 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I'm sure I've said this before, but in the early '80s I saw this play called A Soldier's Play.

It had one of those classic great ensemble casts.  But even so, two actors, then unknown to me, stood out.  One was named Denzel Washington.  The other was named Samuel Jackson.

I remember hoping I'd be able to see each of them acting again.

Little did I realize.

I have one of these stories. 1986, Jack Lemmon starred in the London stage in “Long Day’s Journey Into Night.” 

To my surprise, my father bought tickets. He would not know O’Neill from a pork pie and indeed spent the long evening paging through his program. He just wanted to see Lemmon, who he did know.

Lemmon was great but I was impressed by the then unknown actors playing his sons. Would I ever see them again?

Kevin Spacey and Peter Gallagher.

Oh!  I saw that production on Broadway!

And then, years later, Spacey as Hickey in Iceman (in a production that also played the Old Vic if you were still in London then).  That was a performance for the life list.

Spacey's greatness as an actor (how about The Usual Suspects?) raises all kinds of questions about the artist v. their art of course.

Edited by Sneakeater

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Killers of the Flower Moon is a full 3 hours and twenty-six minutes of drama and history.  At the time of the events depicted, Oklahoma was definitely not O-K.  There is an excellent soundtrack assembled by the late Robbie Robertson.  Hidden among the large cast including many first nations (Osage) folk are Jack White, Pete Yorn and Charlie Musselwhite (himself a Choctaw).

Highly recommended btw.

Edited by hollywood10

• 2 weeks later...