Liza

New York Times

I've talked about this before.  But the whole point of internet bulletin boards is to repeat yourself, so:

There was this article this week about a topic I couldn't be more interested in:  how climate change is threatening prehistoric sites on the Orkney Islands.

In its web version, the article is accompanied by a series of big moving photographs.

At least on my big desktop screen, they nauseate me.  I mean literally:  the movement of the photos makes me nauseous.

I have to say, I've been to Skara Brae and other sites pictured.  Walking around them did not make me nauseous the way these moving photographs did.  (So yes, I'm happy to say, I did not vomit all over Skara Brae.)

As an often critic of the NY Times, it's only fair to praise the Grey Lady when it does a great job.

Yesterday's extensive piece on the saving of Notre Dame was outstanding - as brilliant a piece of journalism witnessed in a long time - Bravo!!!!

As an often critic of the NY Times, it's only fair to praise the Grey Lady when it does a great job.

Yesterday's extensive piece on the saving of Notre Dame was outstanding - as brilliant a piece of journalism witnessed in a long time - Bravo!!!!

I was saying that to another friend - when they put together the graphics, videos, pictures, etc. in that way, they do a good job.

I guess ignorance of what you'd expect any reasonably sophisticated person to know is now one of the job requirements for a professional travel journalist:

And then my main course arrived — I had opted for one of Lyon’s specialties, quenelle de brochet. Its description was a little baffling: a dumpling-like concoction of creamed pike fish made semisolid with an egg-based binding agent. But curiosity got the better of me, and the reality was nothing short of a religious experience.

How many years ago was Frank Bruno staggered by a Japanese restaurant’s invitation for him to insert his feet into a hollow space beneath the table?

This whole Brexit thing is out of hand. Reminds me of the Bard - "Much Ado about Nothing."

Either leave or don't - no one cares anymore.

This whole Brexit thing is out of hand. Reminds me of the Bard - "Much Ado about Nothing."

Either leave or don't - no one cares anymore.

I can understand no anyone outside Europe being sick of it, but tens of thousands of people still marching after three years; people in the UK care a lot.

I'm sure they do, but enough is enough.

Either stay or leave - just do one or the other. It's one of the most drawn-out stories in decades.

It's taking longer than a playoff baseball game.