What are you watching?

hollywood10

8 hours ago, small h said:

Foster making her way through the Tsalal headquarters with gun drawn, whipping her body back and forth, looked an awful lot like the night vision goggles scene in SofL.

What you didn’t say is that, despite the horror and tension, she stops to turn the “fucking” Beatles off.

And I am not making that up.

I don’t think this is a spoiler, but move on if you’re concerned.

I did say, if she regains consciousness he’s in trouble, because she’s a boxer. I was right.

Would make sense to anyone.

I would agree that the whodunit solution is a little mundane. But a great journey getting there.

Not sure there’s much here for the Alaska Tourist Board.

Emmy for Jodie (as there’s no sign of Euphoria season 3)?

Monsieur Spade, E6.  This is  a 90 minute finale (including ads).  Fans appear to be clamoring for another season yet this is slated to be the end.  This episode gets caught up in all sorts of plots of folks trying to capture Zayd the decoder boy.  Spade continues smoking (cough).  Folks chase each other down alleyways a la The Third Man (thanks, Mr. Reed) and there's a bridge confrontation a la Touch of Evil (thanks, Orson).  There's shooting.  There's an arrest.  Parentage is revealed.  Spoiler alert.  Then, suddenly Alfre Woodard appears as an agent of some uncertain governmental intelligence authority and sits all the competing forces down. In a 10 minute tour de force she tells them all off and asserts jurisdiction over the boy.  No one seems to object.  Spade ends up thinking of his wife while taking a dip in his pool.

Edited by hollywood

hubby and i have now caught up to season 5 of fargo. once we’re done,  we’ll likely watch season 2 of feud. i understand that la côte basque is back in the news.

When Elaine Stritch sang of the “ladies who lunch” in Stephen Sondheim’s Company, she probably meant the patrons of La Côte Basque—the ultimate spot to see and be seen in 1960s New York. (It was likely John Fairchild and his staff at Women’s Wear Daily who coined the phrase; they did, after all, send photographers to wait outside its doors at 5 East 55th Street, hoping to catch regulars like Jackie Kennedy Onassis, Frank Sinatra, or the Duchess of Windsor streaming in and out.) On walking inside, guests encountered a grand room with seascape murals, fine tablecloths, red leather banquettes, and a very powerful maître d’. “At La Côte Basque, where egos are boosted or wounded depending on what table you’ve been given, you can still start out feasting on Jambon de Bayonne or Foie Gras des Landes ($8 extra) and sail into Jarret de Veau Braisé à l’Estragon,” Vogue reported in 1971. (Indeed, fluent menu French was a prerequisite: Patrons dined on genouillés provençale, délices de sole des gourmets, and contre filet rôti, no English translation provided.)

see and be seen

I have to let everyone know, Miller's Girl must be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It's worth watching to bask in the awfulness (if you have $6.99 to throw away).

Martin Freeman and Jenna Ortega are good actors, but what can they do with this script? Watching it, I kept saying "Nobody talks like that." Certainly not teenage schoolgirls, even the weirdest ones.

Ortega has made a specialty of very creepy young girls, but she is pushed into self parody here. Freeman's teacher buddy is so annoying you want to punch him. And his wife, well she appears to be a chronic alcoholic author but such a successful one that they can live in a vast and gorgeous mansion (Freeman plays a teacher, so he's not paying for it).

I suspect few Ortega fans will know or care who Henry Miller is, but the cream on the cake is the idea of assigning Henry Miller as an author who can teach you things about the structure of short stories. It's not quite as funny as Clint Eastwood's character reading Yeats in the original Gaelic in Million Dollar Baby...but it's pretty funny.

Of course, introducing Henry Miller is an excuse to have Freeman and Ortega get awkwardly smutty. Clearly this movie is going to live in my memory much longer than better ones.

ETA: I forgot. Also funny is Freeman's reaction to reading a sexy story written by Ortega. Not meant to be funny.

Tokyo Vice.  I stumbled into this on Max.  It's produced by Michael Mann among others. He also directed the first episode.  It's a crime drama about Jake a young Jewish Japanese fluent American journalist (Ansel Elgort) who comes to an exceedingly dense Tokyo to find employment as the only nonnative reporter on a large Tokyo paper working on the police beat in 1999.  The photography is good and the story moves along.  We encounter strict rules of Japanese society contradicted by criminal activity, police corruption, male dominated corporate culture, the Yakuza, Japanese hostess clubs, a very very small apartment, the Japanese sense of shame, etc.  Rinko Kikuchi (whom I lost track of after "Babel") is cool as Jake's sub cap (supervisor) who edits his stories to the max and tells him not to use so many adjectives.  Now in its second season.

The Regime on Max with Kate Winslet.  Hijinks in an authoritarian state led by the insecure chancellor played by Ms. Winslet.  A little like something Mel Brooks might do, but the humor is more restrained.  With Matthias Schoenaerts as the chancellor's body guard and confidant.  Winslet never cracks up even when performing bad karaoke.  There's a little bit of Imelda Marcos in her character.

• Like 1

The Zone of Interest This is the chilling story of Rudolph Hoss (not Hess) who was the commandant of Auschwitz for about 5 years.  He and his family lived in happiness in a cheerful complex right outside the walls of the concentration camp where he worked hard to increase the death count.  Unnerving to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

A 2010 documentary on the making of Bruce Springsteen's Darkness on the Edge of Town album.  Great archival footage of the recording sessions and of the jams held at Bruce's house in Holmdel, NJ while he was still embroiled in his lawsuit with Mike Appel.  Now I know where he was when he popped into the Holmdel pharmacy where my father had a part-time job.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, StephanieL said:

A 2010 documentary on the making of Bruce Springsteen's Darkness on the Edge of Town album.  Great archival footage of the recording sessions and of the jams held at Bruce's house in Holmdel, NJ while he was still embroiled in his lawsuit with Mike Appel.  Now I know where he was when he popped into the Holmdel pharmacy where my father had a part-time job.

I really enjoyed that