New York Times

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saying the New York Times is just a newspaper, is like saying the Grand Canyon is:   1. A large hole in the ground 2. David Gest's pet name for the other Liza 3. Not as good as Le Canyon Grande

Rock 'n' Roll Casualty

that's homeland security trolling for terrorists.

As I told a Fairfield county based buddy who saw my kids tremendous mop of long curly hair - long hair on boys in the city is like an ACK sticker on a suburban in New Canaan

My son's hair when wet falls below his shoulders - and he has the shortest hair in his swim class.

A few years ago, in the clear grip of mid-life crisis, I decided to wear what's left of my hair long again. It got down to my shoulders. I kind of liked it -- although nobody else I knew did. I had to cut it when judges started making fun of me.

Unlike when I wore it that way in high school, nobody confused me for a girl. It must have been the beard. Or the male pattern baldness.

A few years ago, in the clear grip of mid-life crisis, I decided to wear what's left of my hair long again. It got down to my shoulders. I kind of liked it -- although nobody else I knew did. I had to cut it when judges started making fun of me.

Unlike when I wore it that way in high school, nobody confused me for a girl. It must have been the beard. Or the male pattern baldness.

You wouldn't want to be confused with Tony Serra.

Those little pony tails on men turn up on CNBC regularly. At least once each morning on one guest or another.

I rather like top-knots. They're particularly popular, with good reason, with restaurant staff.

I rather like top-knots. They're particularly popular, with good reason, with restaurant staff.

Man bun!!!

Yeh, I know they get no love here. But they work well for wait and kitchen guys in small poorly ventilated kitchens. The tall blond at Bones (Paris) who manned the Green Egg (what a thankless job!); Martin Ho, som at Roseval and now Tondo. Neat, uncluttered. (Goes well with city shorts. :))

• 3 weeks later...

So the Times has this magazine piece presenting an email exchange between Jonathan Safran Foer and Natalie Portman, who are apparently longtime friends. The thrust of the article is that they are intellectual and artistic equals. But it's illustrated with a bunch of pictures of Natalie, in either underwear or a bathing suit (I can't tell), directing come-hither looks at the camera.

Why no pictures of Jonathan looking randy in his underwear?

This is really disgusting.

So the Times has this magazine piece presenting an email exchange between Jonathan Safran Foer and Natalie Portman, who are apparently longtime friends. The thrust of the article is that they are intellectual and artistic equals. But it's illustrated with a bunch of pictures of Natalie, in either underwear or a bathing suit (I can't tell), directing come-hither looks at the camera.

Why no pictures of Jonathan looking randy in his underwear?

This is really disgusting.

It's more complicated than that. There are 8 pictures of Portman but not a single picture of Foer. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Not cute enough?

Jonathan-Safran-Foer-001-1.jpg

The reason is that the Portman pictures are advertorial: it's a women's clothing fashion-shoot, and it includes the cover picture.

Perhaps the pictures from the shoot should have been run separately from the unrelated article (I don't think it's the Times' business to push Froer's career as a fashion model). Maybe in the hard copy of the magazine, they are run separately: I'm just looking online.