Great from Grains

I just spent $6 on 500g of farro. Who knew it would be so expensive? About half of it will be used to make farro "risotto" (farotto?), and then I'll still have a bit left. Any grand ideas? Preferably something without kale. I over-kaled myself last year, and would like to avoid it for at least two or three more months.

a warm salad with peas and green onion and maybe fontina cheese

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spent $6 on 500g of farro. Who knew it would be so expensive? About half of it will be used to make farro "risotto" (farotto?), and then I'll still have a bit left. Any grand ideas? Preferably something without kale. I over-kaled myself last year, and would like to avoid it for at least two or three more months.

For a warm salad, would you just cook the farro as you would cook barley? Or is there some other fancy method of cooking to go along with its fancy price?

For a warm salad, would you just cook the farro as you would cook barley? Or is there some other fancy method of cooking to go along with its fancy price?

cook it regular or in chicken stock or or maybe toss in oil and vinegar while the farro is still warm.

cook it regular or in chicken stock or or maybe toss in oil and vinegar while the farro is still warm.

I find that the cooking directions for Farro on most packages massively overstates cooking time. For salads I usually gently simmer in a bunch of salted water until cooked to the texture you want - probably start checking 10 minutes in or so. Personally I like them to still sort of have some pop or crunch to them - just a bit. Drain. They won't stuck to one another. I usually use them at room temp in a salad of oranges + feta+sharp greens+scallions with Pomegranate molasses based dressing.