Sign in to follow this  
Ron Johnson

Mark Bittman/The Minimalist

I don't get it. Bittman takes good recipes and dumbs them down? Every week, I look at his recipes and decide that I don't like them. Maybe I just don't get the purpose of this column.

• Like 1

I don't think you're his target audience...

edit: I just looked at today's column...what's the matter with it? Good recipes for weeknights, nothing complicated...I appreciate that.

edit: I just looked at today's column...what's the matter with it? Good recipes for weeknights, nothing complicated...I appreciate that.

I am beginning to wonder if I am anyone's target audience. ;)

Maybe being just a target is enough.

I don't get it. Bittman takes good recipes and dumbs them down? Every week, I look at his recipes and decide that I don't like them. Maybe I just don't get the purpose of this column.

I like his show, Bittman Takes On, where a real chef cooks something and then he makes a simplified version. Though you might look at it as dumbing down the show implicitly addresses an interesting question: is more complex always better*? The answer almost always appears to be yes**, but often it's closer than you might think.

*StSiC.

**Without, of course, being able to taste the food.

I have been reading Copeland Marks' Mayan/Guatemalan book...recipes are so very simple, but I have cooked lots from his other books (also simple) with very good results.

edit:  I just looked at today's column...what's the matter with it?  Good recipes for weeknights, nothing complicated...I appreciate that.

cheer up. you could be someone's target.

I ahve his book The Minimalist Cooks at Home and I've tried a few things from it. I think it's very good for a beginner like me; it's simple and it allows you to get to understand the primary ingredients better than the ingredients which obscure them. I suspect that after half a dozen recipes from his book, I'll never use it again, but I will have learned some fundamentals in the process.

I gave one of the young scamhis his How To Cook Everything when she went away to school...and I have gotten good feedback...

I gave that book to my stepmom. She needed it . . . bad.

hey, you're a moving target...Cincinatti look out!!!

In which Bittman comes over all Kingsley Amis, and reveals himself as a hopeless, weeping drunk. "I did swear that my most recent hangover would be my last, and given that that was more than six weeks ago, I’d say I’m doing pretty well."

Kingsley_Amis.jpg