[Bay Area] Indian Food DELIVERED

The New York Times had this intriguing article today about a Santa Clara-based Indian caterer who delivers home-style Indian lunches as far away as San Francisco, with a delivery charge of only $1.00 per order. A co-worker in my office (vegetarian from Hyderabad) has had their food and said it is good. We're going to try it at the office sometime soon. Any other guinea pigs? Any other services like this in the Bay Area?

Knock, Knock. It's Indian comfort food.

The company's breathless website is here:

Annadaata

Hmm, should I order a Teen Patti?

We got delivery today. Their business has quadrupled since the NY Times article, so they are overwhelmed and a bit disorganized. They didn't respond to my email order, and when I called several days later in an attempt to find out whether my delivery would be Monday or Tuesday, I talked to a man who was not very helpful. However, the owner Kavi called and is extremely gracious and helpful.

We ordered the straight veg South Indian hafta wasool (see http://www.annadaata.com/HW_menu.htm). My favorites are cucumber and garbanzo, and I really liked the others. The bell pepper dish is more like a soup. Each meal is fairly small (they say 1 pound), but will feed 2 for dinner if you make rice. The flavors are wonderful -- bright, fresh, and snappy. Everything in this line-up was too hot for my tastes, but I tried a little of each dish with no problems. I don't know if they'll adjust the heat down (which I wouldn't normally ask, but I have to think of the wee babe). My husband loved everything and is really excited that this type of food is available to us.

We will definitely be ordering from Annadaata on a regular basis.

• 2 months later...

The New York Times had this intriguing article today about a Santa Clara-based Indian caterer who delivers home-style Indian lunches as far away as San Francisco, with a delivery charge of only $1.00 per order. A co-worker in my office (vegetarian from Hyderabad) has had their food and said it is good. We're going to try it at the office sometime soon. Any other guinea pigs? Any other services like this in the Bay Area?

Knock, Knock. It's Indian comfort food.

The company's breathless website is here:

Annadaata

Hmm, should I order a Teen Patti?

controversy

While doing research for my business plan recently, I came across an article in the New York Times. Titled “Knock, knock. Its Indian Comfort Food” by Shivani Vora, March 15, 2006. The article talked about an Indian food business called “Annadaata”, located in the Bay Area. They sell packed lunch and dinner boxes to busy, working professionals, primarily of Indian origin. Business has boomed recently since they were featured in The New York Times. The main page of the website announces this proudly and also provides a link to the article.

I then moved onto the next page “about us”.

http://www.annadaata.com/aboutus.htm

They have a flash animation movie of different food shots on the left. The same 55 images play repeatedly on 3 other webpages. Now browse through my website, Spice Vice. I have a bunch of pictures on the site.

http://www.spicevice.com/

Do you see a similarity? Annadaata has been using 50 images from my site since 2004 (We looked up their archives). They're selling food and the food they picture isn’t even theirs - its mine.

I took down a large part of my website in 2004 as my images were turning up on lots of different sites. I retained 50 images on spicevice and added a copyright statement to each image. I hoped putting a copyright notice on the image itself would make people pause and think. Well, of course not. Annadaata.com has all 50 images from my site; they’ve cropped off the copyright text on each one of them.

I called them up and made a simple request that they take down the images. That’s it. I'm not looking for compensation, not even an apology for stealing my work for 2 whole years - nothing. Mr. Kishan Sreedhar who answered the phone, besides being rude, refused to part with contact information for Kavita Srivathsan – a lady named as the owner of the company in the NY Times article. Insisting that I speak only to him, he got progressively angry and belligerent, claiming I was wasting his time and hence money, and that I couldn’t prove the pictures were mine. But I can. I have high-resolution images of each one. I also have the email I sent to Annadaata after this phone call, citing the conversation between Mr. Kishan Sreedhar and me, repeating that they simply take down my images.

Think this might be a direct result? From their website:

"Dear Annadaata Patrons!!

We will be closed for the Holidays from

29th May till the 1st of June 06.

Please note:

The website will be down as we are working on an upgrade. Sorry for the inconvenience. We will intimate the regular Meals and Teen Patti Subscribers by email when we upload the Menus. We can be reached by email or Phone: 408 836 1315

We will resume Regular Service on

Friday the 2nd of June 2006."

Think this might be a direct result? From their website:

"Dear Annadaata Patrons!!

We will be closed for the Holidays from

29th May till the 1st of June 06.

Please note:

The website will be down as we are working on an upgrade. Sorry for the inconvenience. We will intimate the regular Meals and Teen Patti Subscribers by email when we upload the Menus. We can be reached by email or Phone: 408 836 1315

We will resume Regular Service on

Friday the 2nd of June 2006."

Yeah, they've probably seen those "Wanna get away?" commercials.

Annadaata really needs to get its shit together. They are extremely disorganized. The food is good, but we noticed that the hafta wasool menu has remained the same for the past couple of weeks. They advertise that each vegetarian dish weighs a pound, but maybe 1 out of 7 dishes weighs that. They suck at sticking to delivery dates and times. They usually deliver to us on Tuesdays (after I plead with them each weekend to pin down a delivery day and time window) and then are shocked not to find me home on a Monday when they come to deliver.

My most recent order was contingent on them being able to deliver after 1:00 PM on a particular day because of doctor appointments, and I explained this to them. They agreed that they could do so, so I went ahead and ordered. Then Kishan called me on the morning of delivery asking if he could deliver much earlier.

So, I'm kind of on the fence about Annadaata.

Edited to add: Despite "updating" their website, the Party/Corporate ordering page still features the stolen Spice Vice photos.