indian cooking lessons

dried curry leaves? who would want such a thing? you should be able to find them fresh in any decent south asian grocery in nyc.

you should also be able to find byadgi and kashmiri chillies there. if not, amazon has both (byadgi; kashmiri--those are affiliate links). kashmiri chillies are mild; byadgi is not hot either but can be unpredictable. you can, of course, use them in non-indian preps as well.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a few ground rules/assumptions:   1. this thread will not care very much about authenticity. 2. everything i say here will be partial and open to supplementation by other sources. 3. no one will m

I guess I was making an assumption about Goa too. I thought it was much bigger than that. Is its diminutive-ness due to the fact that like a Macao or Hong Kong, it was a European base of operations?

will foods of india ship to india?

Posted Images

here's a recipe i posted yesterday for a simple dish of potatoes and peppers that you'll be able to make without going hunting for anything esoteric (assuming of course that you're not so uncivilized as to not have turmeric powder at hand at all times).

Alu Mirch Sabzi.jpg

keep in mind that the recipes i post are predominantly for home-style food. you're unlikely to come across anything very complicated.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, mongo_jones said:

here's a recipe i posted yesterday for a simple dish of potatoes and peppers that you'll be able to make without going hunting for anything esoteric (assuming of course that you're not so uncivilized as to not have turmeric powder at hand at all times).

keep in mind that the recipes i post are predominantly for home-style food. you're unlikely to come across anything very complicated.

You've seen my spice drawer, no?

IMG_2543.thumb.jpeg.770887ec5d28c4f1a62488cd5a226aaa.jpeg

There's 3 bloody different saffrons in there! But now that I looked, the turmeric is kinda old. And many different dried chilis in another location, but yes, I've already loaded those 2 other chillis you call for into an Amazon cart.  As far as your recipes being "predominantly for home-style food," your home-style would still be exotic here, and home-style is basically how I like to cook - as can be seen from my often kindergartenish plating.

@Orik I had a feeling about Dual et al.; now that I think about it, the main greengrocer that I use at Essex Market has a large section of fresh "exotic-er" herbs and stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if she has these. And red food colouring as well.

• Like 1

Care to share a good Indian recipe using unhulled red lentils? I don't remember if it was an impulse buy, or if I meant to buy German "Tellerlinsen" and made a mistake. Also, can I use Korean chili as a substitute for the Kashmiri stuff*, which doesn't seem to exist here?

@Joe, you really should try to cook Indian food yourself, it is so much healthier -- not to mention better -- than what you get in most restaurants, especially Mongo's recipes. I lived on the (hulled) red lentil dal through grad school, only the turmeric and cumin are essential I would say, and that's just because I love cumin.  

*I mean, I already do, but I'm not sure quite how far off it is. 

• Like 1

It seems to me, cooking from Mongo's recipes at (my) home, that there are two questions I could be asking:

1.  Does this taste like what Mongo would have eaten growing up?  I can see why Mongo would care about the answer -- but I don't see why I would.

2.  Does this taste delicious?  This is the one I care about.   A lot.  And it doesn't require completely "authentic" ingredients.

• Thanks 1