indian cooking lessons

I'm trying to answer this in as non controversial a way as possible.

Fresh Curry Leaves add a wonderful kind of bitter umami ish thing that really rounds out the flavor of Indian dishes that call for them.  That said a lot of those dishes are still good without them but if you've had it with them you'll notice.  Def don't sub dry, just skip.

Usually easy to find at south Asian grocers.

Im pretty sure lime seat and basil is A bad sub for lime leaves.

• Like 1
  • Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a few ground rules/assumptions:   1. this thread will not care very much about authenticity. 2. everything i say here will be partial and open to supplementation by other sources. 3. no one will m

I guess I was making an assumption about Goa too. I thought it was much bigger than that. Is its diminutive-ness due to the fact that like a Macao or Hong Kong, it was a European base of operations?

will foods of india ship to india?

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, mongo_jones said:

no matter what cuisine i am cooking, if an ingredient is not to hand and it isn't crucial, i leave it out. if there's a reasonable substitute, i use it. if it's crucial and i don't have it and there's no decent substitute, i make something else. when ingredients are very easy to locate i purchase them and use them. when i have a lot of time i make more painstaking dishes in painstaking ways. usually, i make things in the most convenient possible way. what any of this has to do with authenticity, i'm not sure. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mongo_jones said:

...the reason this line of conversation amuses me is that adept cooks like those on mouthfuls are usually very particular about ingredients when they cook the cuisines they are most used to... but if someone suggests that a particular ingredient for indian cooking might be optimal the authenticity police are immediately invoked.

My apologies, mongo.   In no way was I deprecating your recipes or culture.    When our son was a Bengali major at university, our collection of spices and "herbs" was much more inclusive of Indian flavors.   At that time there was a superb Indian market on Valencia Street, as well as an entire shopping street in Berkeley.    While never approaching authenticity, we did eat well from this palate.

As a West Coast mongrel, i have no heritage dishes or flavors.    We eat well from a panoply of cultures, sometimes close to authentic, mostly just delicious.  

I'm growing saffron now, but not curry leaves. I see it as an extremely roundabout way of insulting mongo. 

Also I've used kumquat leaves for lime leaves and for paparajotes.

On 10/11/2020 at 10:00 PM, Sneakeater said:

Don't tell Mongo, but I substitute the North American chilis I can easily get, gauged by their relative hotness and their other flavor characteristics.

Charo?

On 10/12/2020 at 8:47 PM, Anthony Bonner said:

Fresh Curry Leaves add a wonderful kind of bitter umami ish thing that really rounds out the flavor of Indian dishes that call for them.  That said a lot of those dishes are still good without them but if you've had it with them you'll notice.  Def don't sub dry, just skip.

OTOH, I've swapped fresh curry leaves into other cultures' foods -- cuz if I have them, I have to use them -- and the results have been pretty fucking good.

• Like 1
On 10/12/2020 at 7:14 PM, mongo_jones said:

yes, dried curry leaves are no substitute for fresh. again, fresh curry leaves are probably available very close to you. but by all means do lime zest and basil...

the reason this line of conversation amuses me is that adept cooks like those on mouthfuls are usually very particular about ingredients when they cook the cuisines they are most used to (for evidence, see joethefoodie's spice drawer). but if someone suggests that a particular ingredient for indian cooking might be optimal the authenticity police are immediately invoked.

IMG_2606.thumb.jpeg.84344fb90eea44e6b250c42df614ac30.jpeg

Tongue in Cheek, tightly...

On 10/17/2020 at 10:12 PM, joethefoodie said:

IMG_2606.thumb.jpeg.84344fb90eea44e6b250c42df614ac30.jpeg

Tongue in Cheek, tightly...

I don't know where the closest one is but, try hitting up Patel Brothers if you are heading out and about.. Maybe they even deliver. 

5 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Funny that I looked through all three green grocers at Essex Market and nary a fresh curry leaf. Kinda surprising.

These guys are back open again downstairs - sold out now, but maybe back in stock soon? They keep expanding their offerings - I just got some kombu today, which they did not have a couple of weeks ago. Still waiting for wood ears.

https://southeastnyc.com/products/curry-leaves-4-oz-1?_pos=1&_sid=070fbb1ea&_ss=r