favorite childhood book

I'm talking pre teen....I loved Harriet the Spy, and after reading her I made efforts to "uniform" my bike like hers, with spy glasses, marbles and string...to prepare for any mystrey that might arise. I also loved the Three Investigators, even though it was boy-centric. Then , when I was 11, I found How Green Was my Valley, by Richard Llewelyn, and never returned to children's literature. Quickly followed by Little Women, To Kill a Mockingbird, and ALIVE. whew, o wonder I need therapy :P

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I think way too many to remember. I lived with my nose in a book for years. Nancy Drew, The Hollisters (I think or maybe Happy Hollisters?), Pippy Longstocking (Actually Pipilotta Delicatessan Mackeralmint, something or other Longstocking), a book called No Children, No Pets (author unknown to me now) that I adored and many others.

My sisters and I all read at very early ages, thanks to Mom. We went regularly to the library, where the max number of books you could check out was three. Frequently, by the time we got home we'd already read them. :P

Mom loved that we all read so much, but frequently said that the house could fall down and we'd never notice because we were too engrossed in our books. We're all still the same. And BTW, so is Mom! These apples didn't fall far from the tree. :P

Ah, my faorite Library book was

Tide in the Attic...the flood in...Netherlands? Sweden? I'd love to re read that book...there was a cat and a goat on the roof, w// the family, waiting out the flood.

I made a spy belt, too.

By pre-teen I was reading every Arthur Conan Doyle I could get out of the library.

Looking back, my favorite childhood book was probably Dr. Seuss' Sleep Book. So far, Jack is smitten with "Taxi Dog" and "Leonardo, the Terrible Monster" and "I Am a Bunny".

Anne of Green Gables

Childhoods of Famous Americans (the bios with silhouette illustrations) . I was particularly fascinated with the ones about George Washington Carver and Clara Barton.

All of the Little House books, Madeleine l'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, Keith Laumer's The Great Time Machine Hoax, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Betsy-Tacy and Tib, the list goes on and on...

Foodie, those were my two favorite bios too!

All of the Little House books, Madeleine l'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, Keith Laumer's The Great Time Machine Hoax, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Betsy-Tacy and Tib, the list goes on and on...

Foodie, those were my two favorite bios too!

Robert Heinlein's "Have Space Suit, Will Travel" and "Rocket Ship 'Galileo'"

Ah, my faorite Library book was

Tide in the Attic...the flood in...Netherlands? Sweden? I'd love to re read that book...there was a cat and a goat on the roof, w// the family, waiting out the flood.

Ya know, that rings a bell. It taught me all about the Netherlands. I remember one scene, where the family is laughing over a container of "Old Dutch Cleanser" sent from America, that showed a Dutch woman chasing dirt with a stick...If it was the same book.

I loved biographies. Hellen Keller, Clara Barton. Loved nusring books, from the Sue Barton series, to Cherry Ames, and, of course, every Nancy Drew....

Adored Little Women, probabaly knew it by heart. Loved the first half best when I was young, then went for the second half as I grew older.

OH- have I got the best series for a pre-teen girl EVER. It's the first 4 books written by Tamora Pierce, a group called The Song of Lioness Quartet

amazon

I read the first one when I was in 5th grade and devoured the rest. They are about a girl who lives in a magical kingdom who wants to be a knight so she disguises herself as a boy. It sounds silly, but sort of the like the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series they are really about the girl growing up, and less about the fantasy genre. I didn't like other fantasy books as a kid. She wrote a lot of series after that, including some for even younger readers, but I find the later books to be too simplistic and preachy, not to mention repetitive.

All of a Kind Family, Bobbsey Twins, Charlotte's Web, Forever, Little Women, The Borrowers, Harriet the Spy, Wrinkle in Time, Phantom Tollbooth, Little House..., How Green Was My Valley, Beverly Cleary, Kipling, Anna Karenina, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, The Boxcar Children, Stuart Little, Wind in the Willows, Grimms Fairy Tales, D'Aulaire's Greek Mythology, Tolkein, Oscar Wilde, Narnia

There is a wonderful series called The Fairy Books...maybe there are 10 of them? Stories from all over the world, each volume is called a different color. Wonderful, and we loved them as kids.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/048621907...glance&n=283155

Charlotte's Web, The Borrowers, Stuart Little, Grimms Fairy Tales, The Cat that Walked a Week, Mr. Wicker's Window, Betsy-Tacey and Tib--and so many more. I remember those children's biographies in orange bindings, particularly Helen Keller and Harriet Tubman. An adult biography of Marie Curie that I read when I was about 11, and The Day Lincoln Was Shot when I was 12.

I also lived with my nose in a book, courtesy of my mother, may she rest in peace. When I was 7 and 8, my father was a medical resident at an Appalachian maternity hospital, in a town where there was no library or other access to books. My mother arranged with our hometown library to send laundry mailers (big hardboard boxes, strapped shut with woven fiber belts) of books for her and for me to our outpost in the boonies. Oh, the day those boxes arrived was joyous--but the boxes were depleted in hours and took weeks to go back and forth in the mails.

Now I live with my nose in the computer, but read non-stop when I'm away from this contraption. Currently reading: The Hummingbird's Daughter, by Luis Alberto Urrea.

Cristina, that sounds like a children's book itself.

I loved many of those already mentioned. In addition, there was a series, a la the Bobbsey Twins, about a poor little motherless rich girl named Maida and her friends. Has anyone else every read these? I saw them last year at the big book fair near Washington Square, so I know I didn't make them up, but I've never run into anyone else who knows them.

pre-teen: tintin, asterix, amar chitra katha, phantom, tarzan, three investigators, hardy boys, abridged dickens and other 19th century novels, a luridly illustrated collection of some of conan doyle's holmes stories, cecil day lewis' "the otterbury incident", and above all, enid blyton.

got started on agatha christie at about 11. p.g wodehouse at 12. "my family and other animals" was a gift from an older cousin on my 12th birthday, as was "the adventures of sherlock holmes".