[SF] Visiting San Francisco

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first wife (then a refugee from Reed College) was living in that building when I met her, circa 1966. It was a rooming house for poor artists, owned by an architect (Piero Patri) and known as the "Patri House." Some of its current opulence is, of course, added on. When the 1966 Hunters Point Riots spilled over to the Western Addition, my wife-to-be was afraid to go home one night, moved into my Telegraph Hill pad, and it was literally curtains for me.

Funny, I know of someone who rehabbed here when it was a half-way house.

If those walls could talk...

I'd love to take a Mouthful poll:

It's coming down to the wire and I need to decide whether to spend my last evening in the Bay area at Ame or The Dining Room. While I'm almost convinced on the TDR, a lot of arrows have been pointing toward Ame lately.

Any thoughts/suggestions. I know that Ame doesn't do a tasting menu, and I'll be eating alone, so that really puts a curb on Ame... but, if the food and the experience is truly that great, then I could be convinced.

Thanks everyone!

u.e.

[edited to add: I called Ame and was told that they do offer a tasting menu, but the person who answered the phone didn't know the number of courses involved or price. I was told that's up to the diner and generally it's $10-$15 per course. Can anyone help clarify?]

I know that Ame doesn't do a tasting menu, and I'll be eating alone, so that really puts a curb on Ame... but, if the food and the experience is truly that great, then I could be convinced.

Let us us know if you would rather not dine alone -- there are certainly enough folks in the area who would be happy to join you!

I ate at Ame about a month or so ago and while it didn't suck, I wouldn't be making time for it either. The best items were actually the starters, which mostly came from the sushi bar. These were very good, but if I'm looking just for good sushi, the I'd rather hit a sushi bar.

Rocky

• 1 month later...

I'm going back home, to San Francisco (well, actually, San Anselmo), next Wednesday for a week. I'm pretty set on the places that I want to go - Zuni, Alfred's (although I moved to New York right before they moved, haven't seen the new ex-Blue Fox space), Zuni, House of Prime Rib, Chava's (if it's still standing), Zuni, Ton Kiang, Capp's, Zuni. I haven't seen the new, gigundo expanded Ferry Plaza Market, looking forward to that. Anyone care to get together? When I'm not up at Dad's in Marin, I can probably be found at the Lone Palm :)

Pingarina, you might not be interested, but may I suggest that you at least consider Zuni? :)

And if you laugh at Rancho Gordo :) I will hunt you down when you're back here and kick your . . . whatever. :)

I hesitate re Zuni - I hear the waitstaff are real snobs.

And I've met RG. He has a perfectly normal size head. And I laughed with him, not at him :)

And I've met RG. He has a perfectly normal size head. And I laughed with him, not at him :)

it's the best medicine, isn't it????

Grant, i forgot to tell you! So it's downtown Napa, they close the streets off and it's a big party. I think it's from 4- 9pm. It's not highbrow at all but it's kind of fun until it gets dark and then it's time to go home and avoid the packs of bored teens. I don't know when I go on but I'll find out. During the day I'm at the St Helena market and Saturday i'll be skipping the city and doing the Napa farmers market.

it's the best medicine, isn't it????

Grant, i forgot to tell you! So it's downtown Napa, they close the streets off and it's a big party. I think it's from 4- 9pm. It's not highbrow at all but it's kind of fun until it gets dark and then it's time to go home and avoid the packs of bored teens. I don't know when I go on but I'll find out. During the day I'm at the St Helena market and Saturday i'll be skipping the city and doing the Napa farmers market.

Oh, honey, you're ALWAYS on. :)

Pingarina, you might not be interested, but may I suggest that you at least consider Zuni? :)

And if you laugh at Rancho Gordo :) I will hunt you down when you're back here and kick your . . . whatever. :)

I hesitate re Zuni - I hear the waitstaff are real snobs.

Eh, just buy the book. :)