[SF] Visiting San Francisco

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how was the event in Napa? Huh, huh, huh?

Well, RG didn't make it to the FPFM on Saturday (unless they moved his stall) so he may still be partying.

He already said he wouldn't be there, in post 163.

So how was the event in Napa? Huh, huh, huh?

Well, RG didn't make it to the FPFM on Saturday (unless they moved his stall) so he may still be partying.

He already said he wouldn't be there, in post 163.

Well, as the herring said to the whale, "Am I my blubber's kipper?"

There were more stars than in the heavens! Well, grantk was there.

I like to think I brought the house down with my rendition of Love, Your Magic Spell is Everywhere, followed by my Bobby Sherman medley but it may have been the wine.

chefmarket.jpg

I love show business!!!

It seems as if TheMatt will be gracing San Francisco with his presence in September. So, expect a "where can I eat" post in the future. And, to temper you, I am a grad student, so places with $25 soup probably aren't in my price range. That said, I will have a per diem, so Matt might be dining in relative luxury.

Had a terrific time in San Francisco, although no nearly enough time to do everything. Last Thursday we started out with a shellfish extravaganza at Swan Oyster Depot. I hadn't been in years, but used to frequent it in my wild youth, as did both of my parents long before I was born. Free Anchor Steam for the wait in line. Two, or maybe three (?) dozen Tomales Bay Oysters, a bunch of Washington clams; the boyfriend had the most incredible clam chowder - jeez, I didn't remember it being so good, very little milk, no thickener, lots of fresh clams, a little bit of bacon and potatoes. Exemplary. Perfect cracked Dungeness and a big bay shrimp Louie. Plenty of sourdough, more Steam. Walked out of there rather high on all of that Pacific ocean deliciousness.

After a visit to Golden Gate Park, we met up with the handsome, and very pleasant, Squeat Mungry, at my old perch, Lone Palm. A few martinis later, it was down to Original Joe's, where I don't think I've been since I was a kid. The boys had steaks and I got an enormous mound of Joe's Special with mushrooms. We were all rather, um, happy by then, and ended up taking quite a bit home. Squeat:*****

Had our last meal before going to the airport at Sam's. Lovely Rex Sole, Sand Dabs and squeaky fresh asparagus with mustard sauce. All very correct. Tough to eat here, though, when you don't have hours of post-work time to while away sipping a martini and watching the machinations of San Francisco's titans of industry.

Didn't make it to Zuni this time :blush:

After a visit to Golden Gate Park, we met up with the handsome, and very pleasant, Squeat Mungry

:blush: How many had you two had before I got there?

Anway, I had a great time... very nice to meet you guys.

Joe's AND Sam's, huh? Tadich's would've completed the set. Maybe next time you're in town.

After a visit to Golden Gate Park, we met up with the handsome, and very pleasant, Squeat Mungry

:blush: How many had you two had before I got there?

Anway, I had a great time... very nice to meet you guys.

Joe's AND Sam's, huh? Tadich's would've completed the set. Maybe next time you're in town.

Dude, you're, like, so much cuter than your little drawing! :P

We have just returned from four days in San Francisco, June 30 - July 4.

Friday, June 30

On the way to the city from Stinson Beach, we walked in Muir Woods for a couple of hours. Before going to the hotel we spent some time at the Presidio, which has a self-guided walking tour of the oldest remaining buildings. This site was a military base for more than 200 years and is now being adapted for other uses.

Stayed at Petite Auberge, on Bush St., between Taylor and Mason, a great location, quiet, convenient, gentrifying. The hotel is one of the local Joie de Vivre chain, which restores and revives old properties. This one is adorably decked out like a French country inn. Our room had a comfy queen-sized bed, a gas fireplace, and a beautifully tiled bathroom.

Friday evening we drove to Manresa for dinner. (see separate post)

Saturday, July 1

A buffet breakfast is served in the basement of the hotel. It would be possible to eat enough to get you through until dinner, if you were inclined to skip lunch. I stuck to coffee, juice, croissant and fresh fruits, eschewing the quiches, eggs, sausage, hot and cold cereals and various other breadstuffs.

img2139small7ch.th.jpg

After breakfast, we headed to Ferry Market. img2147small9xl.th.jpg These, of course, are porcini, but I was equally interested in beans. After a complete rundown of Rancho Gordo's offerings by the beanmeister himself, I felt confident enough to buy a few pounds. Fotunately, he's comfortable with mail order. Lunch was at Hog Island Oyster Company. img2150small1qm.th.jpg Read to the end.

In the afternoon, we walked and climbed. We climbed a lot, most memorably, the Filbert steps, which were featured in an earlier, unbeautified form in the Humphrey Bogart movie, "Dark Passage." Here is Ranitidine climbing the stairs img2164small4tw.th.jpg to the apartment where Humphrey Bogart hid out, recuperating from plastic surgery. img2157small7uy.th.jpg

Then, on to Coit Tower, just to see the fabulous WPA frescoes, no climbing. img2175small1lv.th.jpg

North Beach, with a stop at City Lights to sit down, Chinatown and Nob Hill. Dinner that night was at Incanto (separate post)

Sunday, July 2

De Young Museum in its startling new building in Golden Gate Park designed by Herzog & de Meuron, who also designed the Tate Modern in London. img2192small7uq.th.jpg The museum incorporates many indoor-outdoor spaces. img2195small7oj.th.jpg Its coppery finish will oxidize over the years to a greenish color that will blend in with the park. Time being limited and having just missed a major show on the Arts & Crafts movement, we concentrated on the structure itself and the Crown Point Press exhibit.

Sandwiches at the museum's very pleasant cafeteria for lunch.

The Haas-Lilienthal house

img2202small3sb.th.jpg

is one of the relatively few remaining Victorian piles in Pacific Heights and the only one open to the public. Much of the original furniture remains, since the family continued to live in the house until a generation ago and kept a lot. The tour was led by a young, nervous docent, who was enthusiastic, but not as well informed as I would have liked.

Using a book of self-guided walking tours, plus notes from a book on architecture of the American west, we walked around Pacific Heights and then, Russian Hill, including The San Francisco Art Institute, with this mural by Diego Rivera in a gallery space img2203small3dh.th.jpg

This is the view of Telegraph Hill from an above ground plaza the Institute. img2208small3je.th.jpg

We were very glad to sit down to our crab, Peking duck and black mushrooms with green vegetable at R & G Lounge.