Sign in to follow this  
omnivorette

Bacon, um, Bacon

If a more succulent and delicious mouthful of porkiness exists that the still-hot "roasted bacon" I bought today at the Nassau Meat Market (aka heaven on earth) in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, I don't need to know about it.

(For those of you who don't know, Greenpoint is a Polish neighborhood...full of wondrous food delights)

• Like 4

Better than S&W's d/s? Holy shmokey.

Billyburg north of 6th, and all of Greenpoint, are amazing for their bacon. Walk into any random butcher, walk out with what is guaranteed to very, very good bacon.

I don't know if we've had Nassau's. It is now officially on my list. Any chance they're open Sunday?

Last night BBQmonster proposed a bacon tasting, like the rib tasting. Logistically, I can't figure out how to make it work. People's preferences for crispiness vary, it's got to be hot, etc.,. Perhaps Abby will have some thoughts.

I'll bring you some McDonald's.

I like both Nueske's and Schaller & Weber's double-smoked bacon, but I've never had Usinger's.

Last night BBQmonster proposed a bacon tasting, like the rib tasting. Logistically, I can't figure out how to make it work. People's preferences for crispiness vary, it's got to be hot, etc.,.

Bacon sandwiches. Bacon, to the desired crispiness, on Wonderbread.

slab bacon from maresca's in sergentsville NJ ( here: http://www.s-t.com/daily/02-98/02-18-98/b02ho059.htm ), and in a pan, low heat, so that the entire house is permeatd with wonderful bacon-ness aromas, so your eyes are treated to the slow rendering, eventual browning and crisping, and so that you have a pan all ready to go for your fried eggs.

Always in the oven. Always, always. On sheet pans, turning with tongs. One has better control, the bacon doesn't curl, and the fat renders without burning.

I get slabs of bacon primarily from a Polish deli and a German deli. Sometimes I'll have them slice it thickly but I'm really into lardons so I just dice up the slabs myself.

Lardons I do in cast iron pans.

Bacon sandwiches. Bacon, to the desired crispiness, on Wonderbread.

Agreed, with the caveat of adding a scant amount of ketchup and a good grind of pepper. Heinz, of course. Heirloom tomatoes are delicious as well, but really, who needs fruit on a bacon sandwich?

:( Yum. Bacon.

Oven cooked bacon always triggers a child's summer vacation memory of a wonderful trip on my grandfather's seiner to old Chatham Cannery. Climbed up to the galley to the intoxicating smells of crispy bacon and strong coffee percolating on a perfect, sunny day.