Sign in to follow this  
omnivorette

Bacon, um, Bacon

the bacon at Ginger Pig is exceptional. does anyone have any other UK rec's for bacon?

What is that bacon bite stuff made of? It reminds me of the salad bar at Pizza Hut during 1980s.

Niman Ranch bacon is surprisingly mediocre. I like Neuske's or Father's. I always cook in a pan on top of the stove.

Best bacon uses:

BLT with great tomatoes

Hot Brown

Pasta Carbonara

Salade Lyonnaise

Sliced some Essex Market bacon this morning for a sandwich made with Amy's pain de campagne :( . Some more, served over cabbage, will be lunch.

Crispy bacon is the first step on the descent into this:

b_07_09.jpg

Devils work.

Also that pre-cooked bacon they sell in the supermarkets here, that is also devils work.

"And so the eaters of crispy bacon were punished for their folly"

Agreed.

Vulcanized bacon is evil.

I tried those bacon bit things once and they tasted like bananas to me. :(

Niman Ranch bacon is surprisingly mediocre. 

Amen to that, though not terribly surprising.

I need to try some of Father's regular bacon. The apple cinnamon was downright criminal, the plain cinnamon somewhat tasty. The suggestion of cinnamon + bacon was brilliant, for that I thank you again. And the bacon itself was gorgeous. It's the flavoring(s) I could have done without.

You must be getting different bacon than I am, Ron. I mean it. I think it's fantastic: the perfect saltiness, thickness, everything.

We've got people all over the county who make bacon, and this stuff puts everyone else to shame.

Well, I too think it's overrated. I really don't get what is supposedly so great about it. Maybe I'm spoiled by the delicious bacon available at the greenmarkets and the Polish butcher near my former apartment. They both blow NR out of the water.

Niman Ranch bacon is surprisingly mediocre. 

Amen to that, though not terribly surprising.

I need to try some of Father's regular bacon. The apple cinnamon was downright criminal, the plain cinnamon somewhat tasty. The suggestion of cinnamon + bacon was brilliant, for that I thank you again. And the bacon itself was gorgeous. It's the flavoring(s) I could have done without.

Agreed. The flavorings do get old. I like the peppered bacon much better than the cinnamon. Their plain bacon is my favorite.

Flavoured bacon?

Double-smoked is as far as I can agree with this.

I've had peppered bacon and it was nowhere near as good as bascon with fresh cracked black pepper.

Guest Adam

Flavoured bacon :( . How can I ever take you people seriously again when you are so ready to sin against that which God made perfect.

Flavoured bacon :( . How can I ever take you people seriously again when you are so ready to sin against that which God made perfect.

I know, I know.

I ask for forgiveness.

A bacon fry-off is doable. Four fry pans at a time or baked in the oven, some good baguettes and butter and a plate of great heirloom tomatoes. Voila. Two or three rounds of tastings. Everyone brings a variety (not a flavor, no, no) of the raw porkly-goodness.

Fan, what do you think of Nodine's? (or have I asked you this before?)