Rail Paul

Dining in St Louis

That neighborhood around Shaw Gardens has really gentrified in the last decade. Those houses cost a lot more than 28K now.

O'Connells has excellent burgers.

Did you ever go to Amighett''s for the sandwiches? They used to deliver them to our highschool on Fridays.

Yes, of course. But the better question is "what H.S."? Did I ever mention that I taught English at Southwest H.S. for a year ('78 or '79, cant remember)?

Guest buckeye

aw come on, how can you not like toasted ravioli, frozen custard and Imo's pizza? That provel cheese is one of the true miracles of science. The first time I had that pizza I couldn't even eat one piece, but somehow overtime I grew to love it. Now, I have one everytime I am back in St. Louis.

--------------------------------------------

I just can't get past the glazy sheen on the cheese that a co-worker lost a crown on once. The surgeons would treat us to free pizza for working late and Imo's was the only type I'll refuse completely. :lol:

I wasn't aware of Ted Drewes, Crown Candy or the Gooey Butter Cake..to my great regret.

Amazing what a typo will do. I was there starting '75 not '77. From '76 to '78, I lived on Waterman, just around the corner from Talanya's. My guess is that we probably did cross paths. I was the younger, thinner, newly balding guy from Brooklyn -- remember now?

There was also McGurks: Irish bar with live music & a happy hour with great unlimited free chicken wings (real Buffalo spicy style). I still miss real toasted ravioli.

Boy, it's like old home week (except I missed it by a month and a half or so...). I was in St. Louis--rather, I was a subject of those U. City lions from '77-'81, first living on Waterman (!) as nanny to five tiny humans, then on Dartmouth for several months, and ultimately just behind the Loop steps on Washington in a truly charming second-story place that we rented from its St. Louis U. professor-owner for $290 a month, split between three of us...

Most Saturdays include a bleu cheeseburger at Blueberry Hill (or breakfast there), and I have fond memories of the roomies and I being so poor that we convinced the Imo's delivery guy to take a $6.00 check so we could have our square, thin little provy pie. I do remember some friends being wild for Talayna's, but I never was, since on my first visit, I noticed some of those giant U. City water bugs crawling happily along above the lit "stained glass" in the ceiling. Ick...

Cicero's was our other cheap student eatery (used to practically live on their chef's salads, cheese garlic bread and artichoke hearts)--heck, we even took Itzhak Perlman there for pizza when he was performing at our school (the conservatory in the old temple on Trinity).

Also have very fond memories of ducking out to Cyrano's for desserts... loved the flaming stuff and what we reffered to as their "babbling wall."

And during my last couple years, worked as a waitress (and did a bunch of cooking) for a tiny place a bit further down on Delmar, the Tree Trunk Restaurant. It was run by a cranky ex-New Jerseyan and her very sweet husband, and oddly, most of the staff (me included) was also from NJ...

I am in St. Louis this weekend. Had another glorious dinner at Chez Leon last night. Best hanger steak I've ever had.