I had the opportunity to ( VERY briefly) meet Giada DeLaurentis, from the FN, at a book signing yesterday. She is prettier in person than on TV...very petitie, very expressive, looks right into your eyes...really the kind of person who stands out at one of these long line, autograph after autograph things.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But like Ted Kennedy, isn't her head too big for her body?

You gotta admit, Ted's been doing a pretty good job over the years of expanding his body to match.

SB (doesn't dare say any more) :(

But like Ted Kennedy, isn't her head too big for her body? It looks huge on TV.

I've wondered this too. I mean, even more than Teddy, Giada looks like a lollipop. If she weighs 110 pounds, 100 of it must be her head.

Kim, I'm sorry. One more cheap shot: her grimace. She has the weirdest smile when she's trying to convince you something is wonderful.

OK- one more. Her hands match her head.

Now, back to constructive comments. Over on eG there is a thread about Bruce Cole's piece on Rachel Ray. There are many people defending her because even if it is shitty unimaginative food, people who wouldn't normally cook are in the kitchen blah blah blah. I think she's just lowering the standards and has spent the penny she came with long ago. Giada reminds me of someone who just came back from a year abroad and wants to tell you all about, despite the fact you've been there. But I think her food is more substantial than Ray's. You'll notice she takes almost all of the same shortcuts and cooks simply and quickly but I'd rather eat her food in a heartbeat. Ray seems to be looking for stuff to do while DiLaurentis is remembering dishes she used to eat.

Giada isn't my cup of tea but I think she fills an important need. And I'm sure she'll be thrilled to know I think this about her.

Is the book any good? I haven't even skimmed it.

Giada reminds me of someone who just came back from a year abroad and wants to tell you all about, despite the fact you've been there.

One more to pile on and apologize to Kim. Rancho, I agree with this. And I can't stand the sound of her voice. As I've said elsewhere, she speaks as though her audience doesn't understand English.

A friend who has met her described her as "incredibly small" and looking "like a stop sign". I guess that goes along with Matt's lollipop comment.

She grimaces, which is what bugs me. And anyone who has spent any time around nuns (or the sort that teach in convent schools, anyway) will recognize where her enunciation comes from.

She has the weirdest smile when she's trying to convince you something is wonderful.

Yes the Rictus Smile. Her teeth look like the grill of a 1958 Mercury.

And then there is the way she adds extra syllables to the word "cheeeeeezzzzze."

But wait, there's more. The show is fimed in PsychoCam. Starting with a wide shot they suddenly switch to a camera angle about 6 inches away from her frying pan or cutting board or whetever she's getting into. It's jarring and gimmicky.

People need to move beyond Frank Bruni - there is a whole world of annoying people to snark about.

Maybe I have low standards, but I think that she looks perfectly fine. I mean, as far as the food network goes she's pretty damn hot. Paula Deen, Mario Batali, and Bobby "protruding man nipples" Flay are certainly nothing to write home about.